Getting an old camper ready for long terming

coolasluck

Okay, stupid question Alert !! What is a p.s. :cautious:

God dont you know anything that was an easy cryptic,shame on you:D

Dunroamin

Hi,
We are condensation free we heat with brickets or wood and the walls are 4mm ply steel frame 40mm insulation goretex membrane 12mm tounge and groove painted with breathable paint windows 12mm armour glass .Plastic doesnt breathe heat and ventilate and next time build your own or get someone to do it for you maybe Alan would help?

vwalan

all very nice if you use a wood burner .it works well . but fitting it into a yank rv or a modern plastic fantastic might disrupt the facilities . but i can say dunroamin,s is a nice warm little house on wheels .
but i also know they prefer to be in the warmth in winter. see you down there you two.give the dog a pat for me.

John and Joan

Hi BM. We will probably be spending our summers over in central Europe, Germany, Czech etc as Ricky is a Softball coach and will hopefully be doing some coaching work during thew season, but after living in Portugal full time the last seven years, the thought of winter over in Germany etc scares me to death... I hate cold. So we will probably head for south of France, coastal Croatia, Italy or somewhere , doesnt need to be hot, just not damn freezing..
Do you have extra heating in your MH? We have only ever traveled during summer or spring before so winter living is new to us..
Hi Ricky & Pat

We were fooled last winter. We thought that the south of France was warm and that Italy would be the same. Well! We had temperatures of minus 11c throughout France and Italy most of the time. During the day it rose to minus 6c. It was so cold at Narbone Plage on the med in February that the water I tried to use froze solid as it hit the window on the wash brush. Our batteries gave the impression that they were all failing. We had to have a new vehicle battery fitted in Piacenza in Italy as it could not cope. It failed during a blizard. We were knee deep in snow in Bologna where we had gone to get our Gasparini generator repaired. We gave up and returned to the UK. Our waste water froze at Narbone Plage on the return trip and we were unable to dump it until we got to Birmingham. The batteries were tested at Conrad Andersons and were found to be OK.

The winter before we had spent in southern Spain near Cartegena and that was like being in the UK in a normal summer. We do not like the high heat so it is south for the winter and north for the summer? if that is what we have had this year.

We are looking forward to returning to Spain this winter It will be nice to get away from the almost constant rain we have been having in the south lakes this summer.

John

aikidoamigo

how
Right, we have a 21 year old Travelhome that has been very pampered since we inherited it nearly 20 years ago:D..................But as it will get a lot of use,I have had some updates fitted such as airbags, refillable gas, new tyres.
I am also thinking to have all the rubber pipes replaced such as to the radiator. I've always had the timing belt changed due to age:thumb:
I will also have it resealed, as it will no longer live in a garage.
Have I missed anything?;)
How do you fit airbags to a 21 yr old van??!

vwalan

they just bolt on .you can fill them indipendantly or via a compressor mounted in line easy job.
as for gas all bottles are refillable .

vwalan

the only trouble i see is adding air bags lowers your pay load as you are adding weight to the van . bad move ,i say. mind you could possible then get a weight upgrade to 3800kg or 4200kg . might be usefull.

aikidoamigo

Ah stupid old me.... ~I thought you were fitting them under the dashboard :confused:

pelmetman & pelmetlady

the only trouble i see is adding air bags lowers your pay load as you are adding weight to the van . bad move ,i say. mind you could possible then get a weight upgrade to 3800kg or 4200kg . might be usefull.
I did contact SV tech? about upgrading but they never got back to me:confused:.............It's not a problem now as with the trailer we can carry all our long terming gear and I still have 200 kgs spare:cool:

vwalan

still think it might be worth an upgrade if you can .better safe than a fine.

vwalan

i dont doubt you .but you do get cheaper road tax . and no stress about the weights .

Adverts