Getting an old camper ready for long terming

coolasluck

Hey Alan i have been looking into the idea of the 240 volt fridge idea and wondered what amount of leisure batteries you have had in the past.Did you run the fridges via a separate system of batteries and solar or was it through one bank and system that ran all your utilities.
Also what about winters like we get here my thinking is that with your increased heating e.t.c and day to day power outage your 240 volt fridge would struggle?

vwalan

hi. i use a bank of 600amp .2x200amp 2x100amp.
i really only use it for the fridge .,radio cassette used to do tv will again . last time i ran the computer as well. computer and fidge straight off the inverter but through a spike resist extention lead.
here i cant run the fridge with out running the motor abit from about oct till march this year .
since march have been running my hoiuse fridge almost constant from solar .got a bit down on power lately and odd tiomes stopped so as not to run the batteries down.
in spain .etc runs all winter . now with the 6 panels normally by dinner time both regs have cut out or gone onto pulse mode . think its hard to rely on solar in winter in uk .march was smashing but might not be again.
i have for awhile ran the house deepfreeze and hoover tv computer but so much rain and cloud zaps the power .if it gets sunny again i will do it again.
more days like today please.

coolasluck

Hi alan yes more sun like we have had today please,that would be nice,know doubt i will be working though:(
Why are you not running 3 * 200 amp batteries though?
What do you think about running a bank of 12 volt batteries as opposed to a bank of 24 volts?

BigMomma

The weather is so unpredictable. Last winter it was hotter in North Portugal (Porto) than it was in Southern Spain :confused: I guess it depends on what you mean by warm. If you leave UK in October with temperatures down to Freezing then 15 degrees is nice. The other consideration is 'acclimatisation', if you stay in Europe over the Summer and Winter you will notice the drop in temperature and feel the cold. When I was in the Middle East it was 42 degrees + during the day and dropped to 20 degrees at night, we needed blankets over our sleeping bags it was really cold :eek: But Alan is right about Morrocco, much warmer than Southern Spain but if you are happy with temperatures around 15-18 degrees then Southern Spain will be okay if you are travelling there from cooler climes :thumb:

vwalan

mine are 12v .for leisure .24 volt seperate for engine. i use the two 100amp as they can replace the truck engine batteries if one of those goes down . that size also fits bobs truck and lots of others .
i can charge off the 24v when the engine bats are full the durite battery charger takes power from the alternator and changes it to 20amp 12v .when the leisure are full it floats between the two. engine take priority. i have a 100amp 12v always in the cab that acts as a car jump starter might add another then will have 800amp leisure.when on the move .at the moment trailer stands alone .panels and 600amp.

vwalan

normally parts of spain are better than portugal. and porto is normally cold in jan and feb.
the algarve is the warmest bit of portugal but i dont really like it there .most of the beaches are crap and not much surf.
ok at sagres but thats always windy .very windy.

Ricky&Pat

Hi BM. We will probably be spending our summers over in central Europe, Germany, Czech etc as Ricky is a Softball coach and will hopefully be doing some coaching work during thew season, but after living in Portugal full time the last seven years, the thought of winter over in Germany etc scares me to death... I hate cold. So we will probably head for south of France, coastal Croatia, Italy or somewhere , doesnt need to be hot, just not damn freezing..
Do you have extra heating in your MH? We have only ever traveled during summer or spring before so winter living is new to us..

vwalan

yes you will keep a window slightly open . or change the windows .
best just stay in the warm. some fit a secondary gazing but then it gets in the way.
best are seitz windows small high up .funnel steam and heat if in warm climates .out of the way .big windows trouble in the cold and encourage over heating and fading in the sun.

BigMomma

Lived in Germany for 11 years and yes you are right, bloody freezing in winter :eek: Greece and Southern Italy can be much milder but actually both are much cooler than Southern Spain. We have dual heating, Electric & Gas and you can use them separately or both together. The electric on it's own is ideal for taking the chill off but the gas is much better , and heats up the place much quicker (Our Autotrail Comanche is just short of 29feet long). We also have an Aircon Unit which blows both cold and warm air, again, useful for taking the chill off but not good for when the van is really cold. Obviously, both will either require a mains connection or your leisure batteries power would soon be eaten up. Gas therefore much better but budget for extra usage during winter months :thumb: Is there no way of fitting new Double Glazed windows as part of your re-furb ? I don't think that there is any 100% condensation free vans, other's may correct me if I am wrong !! Ventilation is the key :thumb: However, we just keep a couple of those little square sponge things and wipe down in the mornings, part of the winter ritual really :D TIP: Close the dashboard air vents and ensure the air flow source switch/lever is turned to re-circulate :thumb:

vwalan

strangely i find the winter the best time .switch off heating ,if it gets cold put your jeans on or a sweatshirt. have sometimes worn socks . i forgot i was in maroc. ha ha .
i do find though that the gas lamps make the trailer nice and warm .even here in uk put them on and it soon warms it up.
dont know of a really good no condensation camper .sept the ones in maroc .

BigMomma

R&P - Quite a few on here have stayed in this country over the winter so they will hopefully read your posts and give you the benefit of their experiences :thumb: We do not like the cold so use the gas whenever it gets too cold, we just make sure we have sufficient gas or are close to somewhere where we can re-fill when required. When you pack your van, keep a space for some winter woolies, thicker socks and a fleece. Don't forget the hot water bottles as well ? If you are on a hook up you can get low valtage fan heaters so if you are using a site and paying for the electric then use the fan heater and save on your gas :thumb:

vwalan

and dont forget the ebay adaptor thats usefull if you havent got a local bottle .

coolasluck

When i was looking at getting a fulltiming vehicle the windows were one of the main priorities,as has been stated seitz are the best windows,as alan would say plastic fantastic.In the winter it is important to keep the air circulating in your home anyhow to try to prevent the build up of moisture in cupboards e.t.c i always got into the habit of opening the doors to let them air but personally if i had single glass i would try to change to seitz and try to get a direct replacement if thats possible.Glass remember attracts any moisture which is why the seitz windows are made of acrylic

vwalan

think it hard to change them big ones . you just have to manage . i went years with single glazing in vw,s .made sure i had what i wanted in the trailer though. think if i every do another one i would use a more moderner insulation . one inch polysterene isnt enough . but shant change it . live and learn .50mm kingspan would havebeen better .but now i,m told thats out of date . not keen on rock wool but have used it .it falls into lumps not designed for vehicles really. like everything soon becomes out dated . bit like bm and the p.s never mind . i might grow up one day. ha ha .:eek:

vwalan

pelmets .

vwalan

i never have trouble with women .and you forget me and sue used to frequent the same places years ago. i lived at preston or chalsbury near weymouth.
i think my good looks ,charm and nice personality will win her over. ha ha . if not i shall blame you.

Adverts