Getting an old camper ready for long terming

vwalan

blacky is a very well travelled dog . she left the uk before the pets passport scheme srarted . in december 99 the scheme started inapril /march 2000. been abroad more than half her life i think.
you can hav one like purple dreams . it was a six cell prison truck. all converted in my garden. and painted there as well . the pics on the side were done in maroc by a local artist.
my mitsubishi was the local grave diggers tipper truck . together we make* bad karma conversions. *
bobs last camper was purple haze. based on a dodge 50 bus. no need to tell you the colour. ha ha
cheers alan.
8 cell iveco in for conversion soon. its been played with before by somebody else.but got to rip it apart and do it all a bit different. dick tracey as been in this one as well its a mess at present. it plays part of our trucks alive convoy. hee hee.

FULL TIMER

Glad I'am not the only one to self build on a prison truck, just about completed mine now on an Iveco E17 Eurocargo 7.5 ton truck, when I workout how I'll get some pics posted still got to do some graphics/stripes etc on the exterior but inside is finished. for anyone contemplating what to convert they make a great base vehicle and very well insulated.

vwalan

unfortunately nugget with the iveco never got round to putting up pics. someone had removed the cell windows and made a pigs ear of it . we repanelled the outside and fitted sietz copy windows . plywood on the inside them duraflake resin finish. made a nice 4 berth ,bed over garage shower toilet .dinette at the front .all in the 16ft box .
bobs the purple one is a 14ft box . bit short but ideal for one . makes it really manouverable.

FULL TIMER

Ours was a 10 cell version, 20ft box. Have to admit that the windows were a bit of a pain but managed to work around them, I've done away with the back door, kept the side one complete with dodgy window, also left a couple others in but panelled over on the inside ( I'll probably do away with them completely later) as for the others I had windows made and either enlarged the holes or bridged them with the new window's. I've got some pictures on the computer That I've done for the DVLA but I think I will need to resize them to post on here.

vwalan

hi . we normally make the side door a stable door . keep most of the windows . we find they just allow the units under them . ideal for security. the scribbles on the inside make for character. the roof hatches make good tilting for solar panels . .tried to get one of the back .we moved the back door . cut it in half and used both halves as the garage door .
we also used the top half of a cell door as the gas bottle locker door . tried to use as much of what came with it as it keeps the price down. we made the shower cubicle out of the innner walls we took out . then with the duraflake and a good bit of fibre glass work sealed it with that.

Attachments

pelmetman & pelmetlady

Got the pic's in a bit of a twist:rolleyes:...........but as you can see he didn't look in bad nic to start with, but I had to have the front cross member welded at the last MOT so decided to get the job done properly;)...........2k:eek: ....the cab paintwork is now better than new, and just had the decals done today:thumb:

vwalan

thats normal not too bad . think yourself lucky its not a talbot .you would need windscreen pillars ,etc. doors you name it . have a good look around the rear wheel arch tubs and the floor around that area thats another place they go.
also the main chassis is also likely to be gone around the rear end .
mind newer merc sprinters have crap chassis as well so you arent alone .seen loads of sprinters break their chassis .

vwalan

look nice with a bit of polish and a touch up here and there .hee hee
cant see the brush marks .ha ha .

pelmetman & pelmetlady

They did have a good look around Alan and were very impressed with the rest of the chassis:D........I had been having zits touched up on his wheel arches every couple of years for nearly a decade, and as you can see from this pic they weren't bad, but now he's all shinny and new again and stinks of the bubblegum smell of Waxoyl;)DSCN2270.JPG

vwalan

hi merele i painted my trailer 12 years ago .did the truck 5 years ago. quick rub with a concrete block then threw a few buckets of paint on .

looking good though p, keep it going for a few more years . winter in spain helps i,m sure .
loads of waxoil in the chassis legs helps and inside the front cross member .

Merle

hi merele i painted my trailer 12 years ago .did the truck 5 years ago. quick rub with a concrete block then threw a few buckets of paint on .

Yeh, I deserved that. Think we all know you aren't the king of bodgit Alan:notworthy:

vwalan

heres one of mine when i bought it . looks abit different now .
all converted on my front lawn. now its tarmac but was grass.
shortened rear end by about 3ft .lost tipping gear .made new top chassis and fitted fifth wheel and electric compressor etc then repaint back to mitsubishi white .it was white originally .
even the trailer got converted on my lawn and painted .
nice neighbours we have here . painted loads on my front garden .
bobs purple truck was painted there as well.

Attachments

coolasluck

Yes bit confused there Mr pelmet it appears you have exchanged a lovely clean part of the body with a rusty one..............oops should have gone to specsavers:D

Nice you are keeping the old girl in a good condition,they do become like one of your children though dont they,even cost the same as owning a child sometimes:rofl: i take it you had the whole chasis waxoiled?

Ricky&Pat

Our new oldie is 23 yrs old and we love it... its 32fter and although that sounds huge, Im beginning to wonder where Im going to put everything.. we've got rid of the old freezer as it didnt work and I dont feel we need it, so we've a nice bit of extra space there but am looking to try to organise things as well as possible, any tips..
Ideas and help on keeping warm during winter in europe please... its old and doesnt have double glazing, just the normal heater...
Im planning on making my own silver screen thingies from a roll of that padded silver insulation you can buy on a roll...

vwalan

well if you want to be warm cross that bit of water maroc is warm .
you have experiance of portugal i think .not usually warm enough .spain only just .
no where in eu is warm really in january feb. just warmer than uk .
but not always if you go inland and up in the air ie mountains . have fun .get a catalytic heater works for me.

Adverts