Getting an old camper ready for long terming

John and Joan

Ha Ha:rofl:.............that's one thing John I don't need to worry about..........No Power steering:rofl:..........Do you clean the dust out of the heater yourself ? or do have a habitation service done twice a year:confused:.

How many miles do you think you do a year, I only ask as I don't expect to do more than 10k as I hope to spend more time in an area before moving on:)

Forgot to add, have you thought about airbags? had them fitted last year and wished I'd done it years ago:thumb:
Hi
Yes I clean the heater out myself and check the colour of the flame. I do my own habitation checks including damp checks If I find something I feel I can not safely tackle then I can in an expert. ie. Replacing the heater, however that was even botched up (by brownhills) I have just found out. They used the old flue instead of replacing it with a new design as Truma recommend I have just purchased the new flue kit and it will be fitted by Peter Hambilton at the end of the month.
The guy that did the water heater did a good job.
We did about 7500 miles last year. I have unlimited mileage on the insurance but will be reducing it at the next renewal.
The old hymer on the Merc 410D chassis does not lend itself to these modern gadgets like airbags. Its a truck not a van.

pelmetman & pelmetlady

I reckon if old "Horace" can not put up with the rigors of long terming then I would go for a stealth camper, although I doubt I would do it myself:(.................maybe the pelmets:rofl:

but then again to have a stealth camper you don't have windows:cry:

pelmetman & pelmetlady

Hi
Yes I clean the heater out myself and check the colour of the flame. I do my own habitation checks including damp checks If I find something I feel I can not safely tackle then I can in an expert. ie. Replacing the heater, however that was even botched up (by brownhills) I have just found out. They used the old flue instead of replacing it with a new design as Truma recommend I have just purchased the new flue kit and it will be fitted by Peter Hambilton at the end of the month.
The guy that did the water heater did a good job.
We did about 7500 miles last year. I have unlimited mileage on the insurance but will be reducing it at the next renewal.
The old hymer on the Merc 410D chassis does not lend itself to these modern gadgets like airbags. Its a truck not a van.
Brownills don't seem to have a very good reputation:rolleyes:...................7,500 miles that's even less than I thought:)......................But hey when you are not in a rush to get anywhere............:cool:

We did 4k in a month at Christmas and new year but I think I was just trying to prove a point that "Horace" was still up for it:rofl:

vwalan

take your time its the same cost and milage if you take 4 weeks or 6 months. bit of food is the differance. but dont use campsites . 6 months at 8-10 quid a noght . call it a tenner a night ,campsites alone cost nearly as much as the whole winter away expenses without campsites . i hope you understand that . i nearly dont .ha ha . getting older having a moment. cheers alan.

pelmetman & pelmetlady

That's my thinking;)............We have always been in to much of a rush wanting to see whats over the next horizon:D...............but now I am old enough to realise that is just plain stupid:rofl:..............I did enough of the world in the Navy...........got the postcard, T shirt, flea's etc etc:rofl::rofl:

Just thought I'd better add the edit that it was me that wanted to keep moving on all the time;)..............just in case Sue reads this:)

vwalan

we play a game no motorways ,no duall carriage ways . if there is a small road take it. in spain use the servico roads . then you can stop shop look at things . .
another one is how slow can you go. or thr traffic jam game.
also round and round the roundabout.
but it doesnt matter where ever you stop .10mins into the next drive you find the best place so far on the trip.
every journey takes the same .you start you finish ,thats how long ,far you go.
there is also the catch rain game . we went 7 weeks 2 winters ago in portrugal with out turning a tap. you can use fonts that are continuous running. yes we have good filters .
go slow if not go slower.
one day we might grow up but its doubtfull.

pelmetman & pelmetlady

one day we might grow up but its doubtfull.[/quote]

:rofl::rofl:.............I think I've found a kindred spirit:)...........................Sue's started clearing out the house prior to selling.............I try to remind her that the last house to sell here had been on the market 6 years:mad:

But she found my old school reports:oops:................every report said I am immature for my age:eek:...............at least I'm consistent:rofl::rofl::rofl:

vwalan

remember houses are easy to sell. they are like cars .
its getting the price you want that slows the sale.
my reports always said i could try harder . dont see how ,regularly got the cane . if i tried harder to annoy them it would have been every day.
thought the idea of school was to find out what the teacher didnt know about and keep questioning them about it.
but always have the answer ready just to annoy them even more . hee hee mentally 14yr old nearly ready to leave school , still learning might never be an adult. they always look so un happy.

pelmetman & pelmetlady

remember houses are easy to sell. they are like cars .
its getting the price you want that slows the sale.
my reports always said i could try harder . dont see how ,regularly got the cane . if i tried harder to annoy them it would have been every day.
thought the idea of school was to find out what the teacher didnt know about and keep questioning them about it.
but always have the answer ready just to annoy them even more . hee hee mentally 14yr old nearly ready to leave school , still learning might never be an adult. they always look so un happy.
That's so bang on to my experience:rofl:................Just imagine if we had passed our exams we might have ended up in their rut:eek:................staying in a job just to get a pension:confused:....................

vwalan

think i had 26 jobs before going self employed . then in the last few years drove for an agency . never drove twice for a company i didnt like or a job i didnt like . worked once for 2 hrs in a factory making wheel barrow tyres . they said if i went home they wouldnt pay me. i said it was worth onepound twenty to know what a s--t job it was. those werent the days . change your job for an extra quid a week. a new 250 suzuki cost 350 quid in 1972.big deposit and 24x 15 quid a month (possibly 100 quid deposit)and wage of 11.50 a week. teachers still not keen on them . my son had to go to school the other week ,grandson got told off for saying his grandad is an explorer and visits africa exploring. the teacher said theres nothing to explore itsbeen done years ago. think he got an earbashing from my son. serves the teacher right. going shopping is an adventure never know what you will find. might even get an icecream if i,m good.

vwalan

question .if puddings come from yorkshire .
pasties come from cornwall.
rock comes from blackpool. etc
i have visted them all in a camper.
can i have a mars bar?

pelmetman & pelmetlady

I got a temporary job when I was on three months leave from the Navy in a roof tile factory............I was frankly stunned by the people who were happy to work there for year after year:eek:..............Not only that they were in awe of the foreman:eek:........................Who was in charge of the mix for making roof tiles:confused:

But that's the thing they were chucked out of school thinking they were useless so took the first job:(

pelmetman & pelmetlady

question .if puddings come from yorkshire .
pasties come from cornwall.
rock comes from blackpool. etc
i have visted them all in a camper.
can i have a mars bar?
L:D.......when you end up as stardust like I will then you might pass by Mars:).....................whether they have a bar or not I don't know:confused:.............

pelmetman & pelmetlady

Phew!!! Had a bit of a shock yesterday:eek:...............the water pump has started playing up, a bit like when the water is low and starts spluttering, so decided to read the handbook and found out its got a filter that should be cleaned once a year:D so after 20 years thought I'd better have a look:oops:........they're never in the most accessible of places, but got to it in the end and took the filter out and surprisingly quite clean:thumb:.................But it had obviously been leaking for some time:eek::eek::eek::eek:.............as the batten that held the tank in place had started to rot, fortunately it hadn't got into the floor and I just needed to replace the batten:)
Pumps still spluttering so guess its on its way:thumbdown: had a quote for a new one £72 but that's small beer compared to a rotten floor:cool:

pelmetman & pelmetlady

Would have thought that a crusty old seadog like you would have been used to dealing with leaks, those Gallions you used to row were hardly weatherproof :rofl::rofl::D
I've spent a fortune over the past 20 years building garages to keep it dry:rolleyes:................and all that time its probably been incontinent:rofl::rofl:

vwalan

leaks no they are from wales .every body knows that . come on brighten up, in continent is what full timers are . whats that got to do with wales . seems like a load of blubber to me.
never mind BM. you might never get there . but the pants are nice and warm.

Adverts