Getting an old camper ready for long terming

pelmetman & pelmetlady

Right, we have a 21 year old Travelhome that has been very pampered since we inherited it nearly 20 years ago:D..................But as it will get a lot of use,I have had some updates fitted such as airbags, refillable gas, new tyres.
I am also thinking to have all the rubber pipes replaced such as to the radiator. I've always had the timing belt changed due to age:thumb:
I will also have it resealed, as it will no longer live in a garage.
Have I missed anything?;)

vwalan

i would seriously think about having the brake hoses changed . because of the age and standing. they can break down inside causeing a oneway valve situation. very common on old vehicles . best think about it nw as its a bugger to have on the travels . possibly a m,cyl repair kit just for incase of.
strip and repack all w.brgs again on the road bit harder than standing.
also things like acel .clutch cables .specialy if going abroad as lh.drive can be different. good check on h,brake cables as well.
if you are on tubeless tyres it maybe .worth while thinking about a puncture repair kit . its possible to get tyre cord repairs .(they are like a strip of chewing gum pushed in from outside. not legal in uk for road use .but have known them fitted in maroc and come home and gone back 3 times . so i like them. always carry a few just in case. sometimes you can blow the tyre up fix the puncture with out taking wheel off . a good compressor always worth while as well.look on fleabay or a local agriculural supplier.
of course a good wheel brace one you can use easily and a good jack. original jacks on some campers dont lift high enough to change a flat.

BigMomma

1. Gas rubber piping hoses ?
2. EHU Adaptors/plugs (some sites do not use the EU Blue Plugs but you can get the adaptors from caravan/motorhome accessory shops for countries such as France and Germany).
3. Extra length of Electric Cable (Some EHU's can be some distance away from pitches)
4. Bulbs & Fuses
4. Replacement Van :rolleyes:

pelmetman & pelmetlady

1. Gas rubber piping hoses ?
2. EHU Adaptors/plugs (some sites do not use the EU Blue Plugs but you can get the adaptors from caravan/motorhome accessory shops for countries such as France and Germany).
3. Extra length of Electric Cable (Some EHU's can be some distance away from pitches)
4. Bulbs & Fuses
4. Replacement Van :rolleyes:
1. done
2. already have a full set
3. good idea
4. got those
4. How could you:eek:.............I hope Horace forgives you:D
Thanks for the brake pipe and cables suggestion Alan, and the other ideas:thumb:

artona

She looks great, well done for preserving her

Our current van is a self build. Will have to take a few more more pics as the upholstery has been done since I put this post on another forum

with the help of my good friend Norm we set about and got stuck in. The van was useable by the end of March last year, just 8 weeks after starting and then its been a case of adding to it since then.

I took the following this afternoon, the first shot is from the rear as in the shot from the blog

We have also fitted solar panels and a satelitte system. Next job is to get it reupholstered and to put a few homely touches in and then finally resprayed

Its been a great exercise

stew

coolasluck

Tis a nice job i wont ask you how much it cost;)

pelmetman & pelmetlady

Great pic's chaps:)
Very smart conversion Stew, I particularly like the narrow kitchen unit, is there any reason why you didn't include the cab area as part of the conversion?:D
I can see you get about a bit Alan:cool:.........................Are you using the VW or Mitso as the tug now?

artona

Great pic's chaps:)
Very smart conversion Stew, I particularly like the narrow kitchen unit, is there any reason why you didn't include the cab area as part of the conversion?:D
we have a five year old daughter and we wanted to retain the three seats so we could all sit up front and enjoy touring together

John and Joan

Our van is a Hymer S700 1992, so it is 19 years old. We have been full-timing now for 18 months. I have had the van inspected and serviced every six months or so since we bought it in 2006.
Dont forget power steering hoses. Ours started to weep while we were in Spain this last winter.
We have replaced the Truma gas only water heater with a gas/electric version (because of breakdown). We also replaced the front Truma e-2800 blown air heater with the e-4000 version. (also as a result of a breakdown). This fire has two heat settings 2800w and 4000w. The other Truma S3000 heater and fridge were fully serviced including new burners. I have found that I have had to clear accumulated dust from the fires every six months since going full time and that includes the fan blades of the blown air system.
Before we went full time we replaced all of the tyres, We had the bathroom sink replaced and some delamination work done to the floor at Hambilton Engineering at Preston..
We replaced the fanbelt, but after 12 months again had problems because the belt tensioners had failed.
After 12 months of full timing we have had to replace both front brake discs (warped) and ABS rings (one ABS ring had cracked) plus both rear springs as one had broken and the other in my opinion would not be far behind. I think both front springs had been replaced before we bought the van as they still look clean.
I agree with getting the sealing re-done as mastic has a tendency to dry out and become inefficient.

vwalan

i use the mitsy .still have the vw. its resting in my garden. makes a spare tug in emergency.
i still dont have a diggi camera . luckily a mate sold me a computer and left his pics on for me. he lives next door uses a MAN8136 as his camper.we never won on the paris- dakar. but never mind . was asked if one of us could make up numbers in the john bowler landrover team .one driver had got sick and they were one down . unfortunately my neighbour had to fly home in a few days and i coukldnt leave my truck anywhere safe . but a chance in a million missed ,never happen again. the mitsy as 140bhp the vw 100bhp. plus the mitsy carries seven people . yet is very narrow and drives like a vwt25. sometimes wish it was 4x4 but could the trailer stand more punishment . i dont know. the trailer is a 1987 same as the vw. havent got pics of inside on computer . as a bit like the layout coola wants in his next camper.

pelmetman & pelmetlady

Our van is a Hymer S700 1992, so it is 19 years old. We have been full-timing now for 18 months. I have had the van inspected and serviced every six months or so since we bought it in 2006.
Dont forget power steering hoses. Ours started to weep while we were in Spain this last winter.
We have replaced the Truma gas only water heater with a gas/electric version (because of breakdown). We also replaced the front Truma e-2800 blown air heater with the e-4000 version. (also as a result of a breakdown). This fire has two heat settings 2800w and 4000w. The other Truma S3000 heater and fridge were fully serviced including new burners. I have found that I have had to clear accumulated dust from the fires every six months since going full time and that includes the fan blades of the blown air system.
Before we went full time we replaced all of the tyres, We had the bathroom sink replaced and some delamination work done to the floor at Hambilton Engineering at Preston..
We replaced the fanbelt, but after 12 months again had problems because the belt tensioners had failed.
After 12 months of full timing we have had to replace both front brake discs (warped) and ABS rings (one ABS ring had cracked) plus both rear springs as one had broken and the other in my opinion would not be far behind. I think both front springs had been replaced before we bought the van as they still look clean.
I agree with getting the sealing re-done as mastic has a tendency to dry out and become inefficient.
Ha Ha:rofl:.............that's one thing John I don't need to worry about..........No Power steering:rofl:..........Do you clean the dust out of the heater yourself ? or do have a habitation service done twice a year:confused:.

How many miles do you think you do a year, I only ask as I don't expect to do more than 10k as I hope to spend more time in an area before moving on:)

Forgot to add, have you thought about airbags? had them fitted last year and wished I'd done it years ago:thumb:

dicktracey

I love those pictures of empty vans - they look so big and then the building begins and the space disappears. Having been in alans we know how much difference body width can make, but we are always drawn to homebuilds and from time to time i imagine doing another but its the drop-down bed which keeps us away from it: i've seen it done in the main living area but it takes light out of the van. there was a company based in Poole who used to do a conversion on the LT's where they cut out the front of the roof and fitted a pod which included the dropdown bed, but then, the old LT was almost square in section and thus a great vehicle for converting. Home builders rule ok.

artona

There are many advantages to doing a self build. I know it to the nth degree. I know how she works as I designed her etc etc

Adverts