Gas cooking

Hi All,

Can anyone confirm for me that any gas cooker suitable to be run on LPG is ok in a motorhome?

Motorhome/caravan units seem to be small and expensive with very limited choice so can I buy a self contained oven/hob unit suitable for LPG for use in the motorhome? I understand there could be practical issues of size and keeping the door closed when driving etc but are there any safety related issues? All assuming of course that the MH is vented appropriately and the appropriate LPG conversion kit for the oven is fitted.

I am thinking of something along these lines:-

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/490...MI7rSu9qX33gIVFOd3Ch08EwJEEAQYBCABEgJ7L_D_BwE

Interested to hear views....

vwalan

well i cant say all , but i believe they could be . i use a household size one .
bought in our local trago mills and changed the jets myself . they came with the cooker . that was 18yrs ago still using it.
cant beat 4 burners , grill and oven.
on mine the grill is in the oven but never mind .
i run mine on propane or if in spain/morocco on butane .
their bottles are very cheap.
here i use flogas or fill the bottles my self.
dont forget gas lights as well ,great bits of kit.
i use a thermex gas heater ,catalytic great heater. .
gas lights give light heat and help keep midgies etc away.
tie on mantles off ebay work but sometimes give a bit of a whiff but we cope.
no pic of the heater but jacksons leisure used to sell another make more recently.
but check old caravan breakers etc they very often have good bits .

Attachments

Interesting, I assumed the jets were for either natural gas or Butane/Propane so thanks for that, glad its not different jets for propane versus butane! Always surprises me how there are so many rules and regs etc regarding gas heating and flues etc but then nothing when it comes to gas cooking.....I guess it's the length of use and the fact that not many people go to bed while they are cooking dinner.....still, nice to know it works for you and worth looking at.

Yeah I have a camping gas light - thought I was the only one! Used one 35 years ago when camping and couldn't believe how good it was so I've got one now, just need to get some new mantles and some gas. We'll probably only use it outside but in an emergency when all else fails it'll be a lifesaver! Though I probably won't be able to find the matches.........:giggle::giggle::giggle:

coolasluck

My advice is to make sure you keep an eye on the weight. When building my coach I tried to keep the weight down whilst also trying to design the build by spreading the load.My advice is don't skimp on your batteries or panals and get a good regulator. If you want to live off the grid you can. Also stay away from leisure batteries.Use lead acid or wet batteries and keep them watered and you'll be fineWe live off the grid and live as if were in a house within reason! We find a 1k pure sign wave inverter is big enough and you can find appliances at lower wattages that will enable you to look after your batteries health.Our electric hook up cable has not yet been used in 3 years.Although winter in u.k could be different lol. No comment about gas lighting other than to say they are good for giving out heat and making your clothes smell. Rather than a sog toilet just separate your pee and poo. If you want to live away from campsites then this is important. It's second nature after a while.Rather than emptying your cassette every 2 days you can go 2 weeks this way as pee is easy to dispose of.We don't use any washing up liquid or anything in our cassette
we just start off with a couple of litres of water after emptying. A good idea is to have a small bathroom window. You don't need a sog. Although expensive I would always go for the biggest underslung tank you can fit and save on space. They are great and so convenient. The full size cooker idea is great but my only worry would be its weight.
Hense the ovens and hobs for motorhomes.
Good luck with your build as their is nothing better than living in a van you built yourself.

vwalan

Interesting, I assumed the jets were for either natural gas or Butane/Propane so thanks for that, glad its not different jets for propane versus butane! Always surprises me how there are so many rules and regs etc regarding gas heating and flues etc but then nothing when it comes to gas cooking.....I guess it's the length of use and the fact that not many people go to bed while they are cooking dinner.....still, nice to know it works for you and worth looking at.

Yeah I have a camping gas light - thought I was the only one! Used one 35 years ago when camping and couldn't believe how good it was so I've got one now, just need to get some new mantles and some gas. We'll probably only use it outside but in an emergency when all else fails it'll be a lifesaver! Though I probably won't be able to find the matches.........:giggle::giggle::giggle:
i have two caravan gas lights in the seating area and another in the bed room.
do have other lighting if i need brighter lights.
yes the jets are either town gas,possibly natural.
or lpg propane or butane.
i tend to adapt butane to the old fashioned uk type regulator , and propane/autogas use uk propane reg.
adaptors to suit and change to uk style are available in uk or abroad . although uk propane reg seems to be only uk reg.
hamiltons gas have just about every adaptor.
when i built mine there was different rules back then. mind nobody checks even today.

Well we went with the standard Dometic Triplex solution on cookers, both for weight and for size as they are 500mm x 500mm whereas nearly all domestic units are 600mm x 600mm and that 100mm can make a lot of difference!