Garmin Nuvi has developed Alzheimers

John and Joan

At Gibratlta our satnav (Nuvi 5000) developed a fault or series of faults.

When I turn it on now it automatically sets itself to route to La Linea. The clock will not change time zones although it will go through the motions but keeps the original setting. I can delete waypoints from the favourites but on power up they are back and any new ones I have set have vanished. This satnav runs on the vehicle battery so occasionally if you hit a pothole (very common in Portugal) it loses power and then comes back on again but then tries to reroute me back to La Linea. It will allow this to be reset to a new location and calculate that route, but on boot up it reverts to the La Linea setting. It retains the tracking info up to La Linea but any new tracking info is lost on loss of power.

I have tried setting it back to factory defaults but on power up it retain the setting I had before in La Linea.

Looks like it could be an interesting trip back to the UK. Joan is now double checking every move on the map. We got a CEPSA map on Alan's recomendation and the detail is much beter than the Michelin one bought earlier in Spain. We are still unsure of the location of the Portugese "Electronic Toll" roads (Donna did supply a list from a website) has anyone got link to a map showing the actual locations as many of Portugals roads have similar numbers.

We are sticking to N roads at present.

John

BigMomma

With your Garmin, instead of 'resetting to factory default' has it got a button on the back or bottom of the Unit ? On a Garmin I had many moons ago it sometimes 'froze' and I couldn't even turn it off, however, on reading the instructions I discovered that there was a small 'hole' in the back of the unit which needed a pin to be inserted, this then shut down the Unit and re-set it again. All pre-programmed information was lost but at least it wa up and running again ? Worth a look maybe :thumb:

John and Joan

Hi BM

There is only a soft reset on the 5000. You hold your finger on the bottom right of the screen as you switch it on. It goes through all of the procedure but does not reset anything.

We hit the road again in the morning, so we will just have to live with the thing.

If I don't report back by the end of March we are wandering around the continent lost. Ha

John

BigMomma

Hi BM

There is only a soft reset on the 5000. You hold your finger on the bottom right of the screen as you switch it on. It goes through all of the procedure but does not reset anything.

We hit the road again in the morning, so we will just have to live with the thing.

If I don't report back by the end of March we are wandering around the continent lost. Ha

John
Just have to get the Sextant out and plot your route home using the stars :rofl::D;)

coach ricky

I wouldnt worry too much about the scuts.. e tolls, we have lived here almost eight years, many friends coming back and forth just dont bother, drive through and forget it... they just are not set up for non pt plates and if you tried to pay they wouldnt know how to start... well thats the case up here, maybe down south it may be different. We have tried many times to pay via the post office as they tell you to, and the staff just cant do it. We have also had friends call the helpline for us and with no joy there either...

BigMomma

and remember never to sleep overnight on a service area as they will charge you on the tolls... the ticket is only valid 12 hours...
Now this is a really good piece of advice as it is something that I would not have known :thumb: These are the little pieces of travel tips that are really useful, thanks :):)

coach ricky

Yes if you go ontoa toll road, your ticket is valid for 12 hours, but a lot of those roads have reasonable service areas, cafes rsturants picnic areas and water , air etc, and people often think its a good safe place to overnight park... which it is.. but. It will invalidate your toll ticket as you will be into the next day, and then as you have an invalid ticket, they charge you the whole price of the entie length of the toll road.. never mind if you only got on at the last junction... if your ticket is invalid... you pay a whole fee...
Ive also been caught that way when we once put the ticket on the dash and it blew out the bloody window at speed...

coach ricky

We havent really been on any in our van. We avoid them , it is possible if you take your time. when we were living in a house in central PT, and had a people carrier type car, we were classed as type 2 for talls and to lisbon used to cost us 11 euros each way. To Porto was worse, around 16 euros each way. We did find a way to Porto without paying tolls but could never find a way to Lisbon..
We never really go on the normal toll roads and dont bother about the scuts..

John and Joan

Thanks for the info Ricky.

We have had another technical glitch this time it is the SKY Box or rather the remote.

We have reverted to North Beam 11,778 and the remote will not let us select the default transponder setup page to select the one on the south beam 12,207. As a result we cannot get satellite TV until we get further north.

We have an AvTEX TV and Portugal is not one of the countries listed on the DVB setup menu. We just get a report that there are no channels available if we select any other country or Other on 6, 7 or 8mhz. We are now having to view the same old videos we have seen before. Any tips Ricky?

John

BigMomma

We have a FTA Digital Receiver and this has a manual select so that if the remote does screw up we can still change/search for one of the 6 statelites or change the frequencies. Is the SKY box different in that it can only be operated by a remote ? I also take it that with a SKY box you have to pay a subscription ? Is their a reason that you prefer SKY e.g. Sports or Movies Channels ? We find that when we lose the ASTRA 2 South satelite (from Madrid and South) we can tune in to HISPASAT or one of the others and generally find English speaking programmes (primarily US Drama series). And there are no subscription charges :thumb: . You can do an Automatic update to the system as well which means that any frequency changes are done automatically.

coolasluck

mmmmmmmm i wonder why it is that we watch the t.v.
Unless it is something specific you want to watch i would want to avoid watching any old rubbish because its english ,i cant see the point in turning the thing on and struggling to find a signal to then find one and end up watching some american or english crap:(
I would be however into watching sport(particularly tennis;)) Eastenders and documentaries.:rofl:
I am going to see if i can download loads of documentaries before we go ,forget about watching eastenders and see what i can do with regards the internet:D

John and Joan

We have a FTA Digital Receiver and this has a manual select so that if the remote does screw up we can still change/search for one of the 6 statelites or change the frequencies. Is the SKY box different in that it can only be operated by a remote ? I also take it that with a SKY box you have to pay a subscription ? Is their a reason that you prefer SKY e.g. Sports or Movies Channels ? We find that when we lose the ASTRA 2 South satelite (from Madrid and South) we can tune in to HISPASAT or one of the others and generally find English speaking programmes (primarily US Drama series). And there are no subscription charges :thumb: . You can do an Automatic update to the system as well which means that any frequency changes are done automatically.
Hi BM

We had two Sky boxes one at home and one we got when the dish was fitted to the van. We gave up Sky subscriptions last year and the boxes revert to FTA. One went down before we left the UK so we subsituted it. The two remotes worked on either box. A remote went faulty in Spain so that went the journey and now this one has developed a fault with zero. You have to really press it for a while to get it to register. To get the box to change you have to select the services menu and then press 401 in quick sucession. Now it is to slow and we cannot get into the installers menu to change the default transponder to the south beam. We plan to change to a 12v FTA Satellite box when we get back. These old Sky (white) boxes are mains only so we have to have the inverter on all the time to watch TV.

I hate sport but like Emmerdale and Joan is a Corry follower. We also like to watch our home area ITV news. We both love documentaries.

We have videos with us but have watched them all now so it is second showings again, now we cannot even get Portugese TV. (useful for keeping track of the weather). The DVB signal was OK in Spain and France but there is nothing in Portugal.

We have found WiFi few and far between with hit and miss reception. This one keeps dropping out and you have to log in again even though it is a excellent signal. I think it does it to prevent downloading of large amounts of data. We are finding sending emails a no no, but can recieve them. I tried a search in Google Earth and the message came back that it understood our request but the server would not permit a reply.

Which box are you using Eric and is it 12v?

John

coolasluck

John i dont know if you know,but you can reprogramme your sat handset,i have been meaning to do mine for ages but never seem to have the time:rolleyes:.
VWAlan has also found wifi spots very scarce also,i am wondering how better to receive the internet,its either pay through the nose for a mounted dish or pay through the nose for internet via a mobile phone which you also pay through the nose for.If your in the u.k you are fine,you could get unlimited internet and landline phone calls for about 20 quid a month .I do however plan on going on a download spree at my sisters when i get back periodically when fulltiming,so as i can get my fixes of documentaries and films.
I have the world at war series and the series called the great war both series i have got in their entirety.
I do want to get hold of as much stuff as possible,would be nice to avoid the box,and instead watch pre-hard drived stuff

BigMomma

Which box are you using Eric and is it 12v?
I think that it is the norm now for vans to have 12v fold down tv's already fitted. Ours is a 15" screen and is linked to our radio/cd player in that it has a drop down front facia which enables you to insert a DVD or CD which can then be played through either a small screen on the radio fascia panel or through the tv screen. As you will already know, you can also get radio through the Satelite :thumb: The Autotrail came with a standard Status TV ariel and a Freeview box but we added a CAMOS Sat Dome and a 'Zehnder' Digital FTA Receiver so have both (Amazingly enough, we were on a site in Scotland where we could not pick up a clear signal through the satelite system but were able to pick up a signal from a local TV mast on the Status TV Ariel :rolleyes:) . We have the discussions on here before about the advantages/disadvantages of Sat Dishes v Sat Domes but if I could choose again I would certainly elect to have a dish as you can get one large enough to pick up the ASTRA 2 South signal in Southern Spain and even in Italy, the Sat Dome restricts the size and therefore has a more restricted range :( Like you I like the fact that with the Satelite you can elect to view your local BBC or ITV channels so that you can keep in touch with what is going on in any particular region.

BwB

I've got a Humax (brand) TV recorder hard disk thingy. During "home" periods I record movies and whole tv series etc. This gets taken in the van during winter trips abroad and I find it useful as I don't have to set up the satellite. The Humax has the ability to let you download onto a computer but it takes an age so is easier to to take unit with me.

In the summer I found we don't watch TV when away at all so neither the Humax or TV gets taken but I do get through some books :)

John and Joan

Hi Eric & Brian

We have a AVTEX TV with built in Alalogue/DVB/and Scart as well as other inputs such as from a computer.

In Portugal we are getting nothing at all on the Status on DVB or Analogue yet we were OK in France and Spain. The satelite box runs through the scart conection and while the dish is locked onto Astra 2 the box has reverted to North beam so we cannot get a signal here. Being unable, due to the problems with the remote, to change to south beam we will have to go further north to get satelite TV again.

Brian we do not have a UK property and are on the road 365 so don't have the luxury of saving things away from the van.

John

Dunroamin

We are above a town of round 30,000 people and there are 15 wifi networks 4 are pay h0tspots 2 are restaurants 1 wep encryption and the rest wpa , I have full view and anywhere else in northern Europe I would have hundreds of networks they just dont have it!

Adverts