Fylde, Lancashire

BigMomma

Mmmmmmm :rolleyes: talking of batteries ! I know that modern car batteries these days do not need any maintenance, generally being of the sealed unit variety. However, it got me to thinking about the leisure batteries on my van, have to admit that on all my vans I have never actually checked to see if they are of the maintenance free type (hence also not ever having conducted any maintenance on them). Do you still have to top them up with 'distilled water' like you used to have to do with car batteries :cautious: I have never really thought about the leisure batteries maintenance before, but seeing how I intend to do some off-line travelling where I will be reliant on the leisure batteries and observing some posts on here with regards to batteries thought that it might be wise to ask :eek:

vwalan

some yes some no. if you look these days a sealey battery drop tester can be bought very cheaply on ebay . i use one of them . seem to work quite well. follow the instructions .
mind i also find that aldi /lidl do a very cheap battery /alternator tester sometimes . looks mickey mouse .christmas tree light style .i also have these in tool box etc . they seem ok .but the drop tester is the kiddy.
i also use the alt.bat tester as a guide for testing the solar panels in working mode. again as a guide very good and only cost a few quid when they have them . sealey and other versions are alot dearer and are identical.
but as for leisure batteries wet truck batteries work gor me and just about every one i hang around with . having tried others we decided they work out the best deal.

BigMomma

Thanks matey, however, you may as well be talking in a foreign language to me :eek: what exactly is a 'drop tester', how does this work ? I am assuming that 'wet truck batteries' are of the variety where you need to keep them topped up with the 'distilled water' from time to time :rolleyes: I am still not sure how to check that my solar panel is actually working, thought I had it sussed but now not sure. I have the Sargant system and it shows how many Amps you are using, but also the display will show the state of the veicle battery and the leisure batteries. The other day, with everything switched off (apart from the alarm system which I believe runs off the vehicle battery) the leisure battery was showing a reading of 13.0v and 'Good', this was about 10am in the morning. At 1pm when the sun was right overhead so getting the maximum sun onto the solar panel on the roof, I checked again and the display still read 13.0v (Good). I would have thought that the reading would have gone up as some people on forums are saying that there reading goes as high as 14.2v. I am guessing that it may have something to do with battery capacity, once they are fully charged they are fully charged and that is it. I have 2 x 110amp leisure batteries so does the 13v (Good) indication seem about right :cautious:

Think this question is in the wrong thread really, perhaps we should start a section called 'Technical' ;)

vwalan

i connect the drop tester to the positve and negative of battery it puts a heavy load on it .you read the scale . ebay battery drop testers . these days it looks like a shiny multi meter with short jump leads about 25 quid .http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-12v-6v-12-volt-Battery-Load-Drop-Tester-BT91-7-/290752639752?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item43b2353308
as for my alt. battery tester is like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-XS-12v-Battery-and-Alternator-Tester-/221106097119?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item337af34bdf
yes its only basic positive /neg connections touch the reg screws and i can have an idea whats coming in . touch the battery connections and gives a guide to batteries .this is on the reg connections .
i do have a computer diagnostic gear here by souriou but the ones i show are ideal tools for in your tool kit.
not expensive but work well.

sundowners

I have found in the past that when I have had to add water to a battery it's well on it's way out-----The batteries I have just fitted to our truck are AGM (absorbed glass mat) --still lead/acid but never top-up. I only bought them really as we couldn't find any 'normal' batteries to fit the carriers with CCA enough for the Cummins motor, which needs a huge amount of power to kick it into life when cold. They are supposed to be really good----but expensive:cry:
Leisure batteries are both lead acid deep cycle

vwalan

how right you are . those cummings do seem to be hard on batteries . i,ve noticed with the daf trucks .if the battery is only a little down then they dont like it . have had to jump my mates a few times . both me and bob with the daf try to run a couple of batteries in our leisure bank the same size as our truck batteries then if away we can lose on leisure power but not have to buy a battery when away. been a good trick a couple of times .
bob now has a 121v to 24 volt charger so if his leisure batteries are full he can charge his 24 v engine bank to keep it topped up .

coolasluck

Not so easy to jump start a 24 volt truck via a passing local in a car:rofl:.
Before going on hols i had to buy some new batteries for engine starting,wanted now so ended up buying from halfords:cautious:,decided to buy the bosch silver seal ones as i remember them to be decent as i used one for my chevvy truck years ago when i had probs with the battery.Next job will be the leisure batteries,think i will shop around more for these any ideas of where to go to folks?

vwalan

is there not a mole valley farmers or something like that near you . places like that can usually beat halfords hands down .also good for bits and pieces like puncture repair gear ,nuts ,bolts etc ..
i quick pull is far easier usually . so long as air is up on brakes etc .

snail

Hi coola, bought mine from battery megastore, tewkesbury 5 mins from m5, but delivery was free, so didn't bother going there, even though it is only 15 miles away, give them a google lots of choices

snail

coolasluck

Interesting i will check these out:thumb:Thanks

coolasluck

Damn it alan ive now been on ebay and bought a voltage drooper tester.Good piece of kit i should always of had:thumb:

coolasluck

Nowt wrong in that department but maybe i need to get 110 amps rather than 50 these days:rofl:

hpold

They only show the latest articles .

Adverts