Fulltimers Emergency Funds

Jim

Admin
Just reading again John and Joan's problems with the motorhome needing repair. This raises the importance of some emergency cash. Two issues, for breakdowns we need the cash for the repair and for some temporary accommodation, if we don't have family or friends we can impose on, (or we'd rather not impose) then we should budget for at least £50-£60 per room per night B&B and for the worst case, one where we get the motorhome and everything nicked.

In the absence of proper fulltiming insurance that would provide accommodation for the time we are off the road then we really do need to have a little stash to help. Personally I would want to aim to have around 2k ready for quick access, ie, not in premium bonds. This would go someway to covering accommodation in the event of a total loss while waiting for insurances to pay etc. This could be a month or more!

Anyone can lose their home, think of the floods and fires every year, the difference is, those that live in bricks and mortar have better insurance cover so that emergency cash is maybe not so important. My advice, if you don't have a little stash, start building one. :)

billkce

Just reading again John and Joan's problems with the motorhome needing repair. This raises the importance of some emergency cash. Two issues, for breakdowns we need the cash for the repair and for some temporary accommodation, if we don't have family or friends we can impose on, (or we'd rather not impose) then we should budget for at least £50-£60 per room per night B&B and for the worst case, one where we get the motorhome and everything nicked.

In the absence of proper fulltiming insurance that would provide accommodation for the time we are off the road then we really do need to have a little stash to help. Personally I would want to aim to have around 2k ready for quick access, ie, not in premium bonds. This would go someway to covering accommodation in the event of a total loss while waiting for insurances to pay etc. This could be a month or more!

Anyone can lose their home, think of the floods and fires every year, the difference is, those that live in bricks and mortar have better insurance cover so that emergency cash is maybe not so important. My advice, if you don't have a little stash, start building one. :)

We have a house sitting in the UK, so touch wood, its there when we need it. However, we needed £7K last year for emergency repairs - roof & boiler! Also, my Laptop went down in Spain - £500.

IMO you need a good fighting fund of around £5k to cover emergencies. TABS - theres always bloody something!

Of course there is always the good old Credit Card but we pay those off every month by DD - so unless you have a stash to cover spending on a CC in an emergency - its a slippery slope into debt & interest.

PAT4NEIL

I cant see why fulltiming insurance couldnt at least pay for two weeks accomodation,after all you are paying a premium for fultiming insurance. Its is a big problem, as I wouldnt want to land myself of the kids, none have the ability to put us up more than a few days at a time. We would have to travel around friends for a few nights too. If it looked to being a long time to sort out we would probably do a short let somewhere.

I think you need at least £5,000 or more.

Pat

BigMomma

This point has been raised before but in discussions about 'Living Costs' so probably didn't get the attention that it deserves, so well done Jim for raising it as a separate thread. I think that I have made my views known on this subject many, many times so I will say no more (for now at least ;)).

coolasluck

Stop kissing bottoms bm it has been raised before like most things:rofl:
My opinion was 10k and hopefully this could gather some nice intrest over time,that is if you are lucky enough not to need to use the pot.;)

vwalan

mind 10k doesnt buy a new motor for a merc sprinter . and can soon be eaten away on clutches and g,box bits for fiats. but then if you dont go anywhere doesnt matter .
but atleast 5k is about right . more is safer. years ago we used to say if you didnt spend 200quid on repairs to a vehicle you were lucky .these days 2k is more like it .
ie. brakes tyres clutch .batteries
next year exhaust more tyres wheel brgs . shocks .
next alternator ,fuel pump ,another battery.
soon get the gist. if you dont need it this year you will soon.
servicing not counted in the above. before you know it you will start again.

BigMomma

Stop kissing bottoms bm it has been raised before like most things:rofl:
My opinion was 10k and hopefully this could gather some nice intrest over time,that is if you are lucky enough not to need to use the pot.;)
But never raised as a thread in it's own right. I don't kiss bottoms, far to smelly, much nicer places to kiss :D

aikidoamigo

Gees' everyone full timing must be rolling in dosh....

saying 15K per year for living the life and at least 10K in reserve for a safety net.

It's clear I will need to work my way around the world me thinks. :eek:

aikidoamigo

Anyhow, just cleaned our house carpets with one of those washer thingy's....

Ready for the upcoming pagan sun festival....

Wouldn't need to be doing that chore at least when the big day comes!! ;)

coolasluck

I dont think you need 15k but i will get back to you on that one.

Nowt wrong with doing a few months work each year the most important thing is that you are working to live and not the other way round;)

vwalan

it aint cheap. uk is the cheapest place to be in europe . i mean it .
many i know are selling abroad to come back.
i only look stupid . mind it works . been doing it most of my life. hee hee.

coolasluck

Fuel aside alan i think you are probably right,wouldnt mind a small place in greece though,if it was cheap enough.

vwalan

life is just a game soon you will playu can i drink 3 cans of lager nd half a bottle of wine without going to ther toilet . . thats life .play the game . you think of the game nature tries its best but you tbink of tbhe game . instead of following the rest. to be honest greece never was good only cheap it still is cheap but quality plays apart. from greece where do you go . in winter it aint warm enough. look at a good atlas look at lattitude lines . it aint that good . i learnt it as a child . my best lessons was geography and history . why ?because i travelled alot as a kid.

coolasluck

Love kefalonia its got to be warmer than here,dont need it to be boiling hot all the time just warmer than here is all.
We love greece like you love morocco i suppose:):p

vwalan

have you ben to greece in december ,january and february?spain is better.
not hot almost cold . better than here . but greece doesnt match . and i say anybody that thinks it does is on drugs . or simple minded. been there . go and try it like i say look stupid, act it . works for me.

vwalan

coola tnhink of it t#his way tomorrow never comes, it just becomes today . look at yesterday that tells you something ,today we live .tomorrow asnt happened.
think ,think , think.

coolasluck

Youve rdrunk too much al:D

vwalan

no you can think that.
i know what works for me .
the others believe they know what works for them.
i dont believe . thats the differance.
you can dream , even fantasize.
but i know.

aikidoamigo

Simple minded... now that was a good band!

Adverts