Fiver the ideal Motorhome Fulltimers Rig?

Jim

Admin
Positives I can think of..

No MOT's (on the rig at least)
Never stuck for transport
Loads of room.
Any more?

What are the negatives?

coolasluck

Very difficult to wild camp in.

Reactions: Jim

vwalan

there is none. i wildcamp just about all the time.
best get a mini artic then it can all be mot free. but its no harder in fact easier to park mine up than a m,home or rv. truckers like to protect the baby . others just think i,m a truck.
it really comes down to choice. i have 20ft of space +a vehicle to use as a car . its not much bigger than car . smaller than many pickups.
also carry m,bikes as well.
the ideal fulltime vehicle.
much better for ind est parking as well in emrgency.
at 33ft long its much more manouverable than a 33ft rigid.
i think you know its good off road as well.
well not good but manages.

vwalan

agreed . but works for wild camping . think you have seen it around awhile.
yes it is a caravan and pulled by a heavy car. makes it cheaper on some ferries than a motor home. they allow 11mtr for car n caravans very often at cheap rates. gladmines only 10mtr. much better than towing a car behind like lots do. keep your eyes on ebay .you can get some ideal ones for conversion. mini artic .
bet you wish you had one .hee hee.

coolasluck

good old alan, ey Richard ive never met him but you gotta love him aint you.
Alan and his bloody caravans:rofl:

dicktracey

yer right there cool . . .al is difficult to forget but its worth the effort . . should he be drummed out of the regiment for misrepresentation??? or kept on for entertainment in much the same way as ancient kings would keep the village idiots and freaks to amuse visitors??

vwalan

you are correct. i do go on a caravan campsite ones but dont fit in there as i prefer wild camping. dont quite fit in on the american sites . dont fit in here.story of my life. only know of a handfull of mini artic campers . thats because most cant handle them. always been infront of the rush. be it m,bikes ,custom cars . i remember being one of two custon vans at the biggest vw show in europe back in the late 70,s. again built trikes when hardly anybody else did. i lead the rest follow.
luckily for you i also have knowledge to pass on tips to give.
shame i dont know about computers just noticed its in funny text.must have touched a wrong button. ha ha ,i mean
it.
anyway i have thick skin ,sticks n stones may break my bones but calling names wont hurt me.
i just drift through all of the sites making you all wish you had a mini artic ,i know .you denie it now.
keep laughing ,lifes so nice i laugh every day.

BigMomma

But I think it was acknowledged right at the start that although this is called Motorhome 365, it is primarily a site for Fulltimers, Long termers or "Wannabees" and it doesn't matter what sort of rig that you fulltime in ;).

Of course Alan knows that you are just taking the Pi** but do remember not to get too personal, sometimes it may just hurts a bit :oops:

vwalan

i know i have the right vehicle for fulltiming. its been tried and tested well before i did mine . i built it and use the weight restrictions to meet the rules etc. dont need a toad. saves cash there . mot ,whats that. the travelling comunity have it sorted. so farthere asnt been a negative .i,ll let coola off he,s young. but in 11yrs i find it perfect. as had its breakdowns but kept moving . drove from near badajoz in spain one year with only 4th gear but made it , and pulling the trailer all the way to santander. had to my father had died the night before you just have to make it.
broke the leaf springs in maroc welded and fixed them and drove to spain,another year. bent a trailer axle being pulled out of a river the next year . managed to pull it the other way tied to a tree and got home. not normal breakdowns but made it.
having the mickey took out of me is nothing , bet he gives me a beer as soon as we meet next time. its my good looks charm and personality that gets me such nice friends ha ha.
on the road best not maqke enemies you never know when you want a tow ,a tyre lever, or just company. there is a whole comunity out there all nationalities . some arent fulltimers just overlanders.

pelmetman & pelmetlady

I reckon its not the size or shape of your rig that matters:D........... but what you do with it that counts;)
Seems to me Alan's been to most of the places that are still on the majority of our too see lists:notworthy:

coolasluck

Yes lets all be nice to the old Alan:rofl:
But you are right we will just have to wait a while longer before we get to visit all those countries out there too,mind you i dont think we would go to some of those alans been to and i certainly dont have the know how or confidence to make major repairs on the road but then again i never owned me own garage.Have to say though the old truck stuff should i would have thought be simpler to tinker with then the modern stuff.
Right enough of the alan love lets get back to a bit of piss taking:D:rofl:
Dont worry i dont think Alan takes it to heart at least i hope not:cautious:

vwalan

hi ,i may have had my own garage but i taught myself welding spraying etc .i trained as a butcher slaughterman . then joined the army catering corps. .came out and went back to butchery etc. decided that civillian cooking payed rubbish. i only had my garage as a hobby that went fantastic. . coola i do say come down join in you would enjoy it. truck arriving tomorrow i hope. its never too late to learn.
i did start a course at plympton for plant fitting but fell out with the instructor told him to stick it.
i started by selling vw parts and fitting exhausts on beetles . it just went from there. did a course at staustell tec nighhts to learn the basics years ago . never done tig but mig and gas welding ok. carry an inverter welder in the truck weighs about and is the size of a transistor radio. good for emergency,
but come down for a weekend . we can have a party. got 3 bedrooms herre at moment though other alan may need one when we start ripping his truck apart. always remember if the wheels turn dont fix it keep going . there are survival driving books out there. how to drive if acel cable goes ,or clutch cable . or mole grips on a brake hose if wheel cyl ,leaking. can show you some good puncture outfits . i did work for ats and michelin for a while.always looked for jobs that might help in the future. i planned this life.
well bm gone off reading por... i mean bloggs . coola gone tofind his cat(postman pat)hows mr pelmet all ok i hope.

BigMomma

I am sure you are right Coola about Alan not taking it to heart. I know that if I was on the road and had a break down (mechanical as opposed to nervous) it would be Alan and his mobile Garage that I would be hoping to come around the corner :D

coolasluck

I think we should all have a 365 meet around Alans:thumb:

BigMomma

Still here Alan, just keeping moving between forums and blog spots to see whats going on out in that big bad world of ours. Not a lot as it happens, the boaters have all been suffering with wind, the Brit ex-pats in France are still telling us how wonderful it is over there and the other Motorhome Forums are talking mainly techy type speak and being far too serious for me.;)

coolasluck

its a hard life is it not:(

vwalan

to be honest pat 4 neil have just been over with the german crowd i see in maroc they carry more than me. i,m sure they have had a few stories told. once was with dunroamin .his genny stopped working so he took the points set up off his m,bike to get the gennie working .we then silksceen printed hundreds of tshirts with a maroc design and sold them to the surf shops around agadir. caused hell as we copied a well known maroc design they painted on tshirts .he bought one and produced hundreds in one day . between us we have stripped engines on the beach. towed others for miles. you dont need recovery in maroc you need friends. had friends acompany others with dead relatives in campers back to uk. the stories are unbelievable but true. think a bit of piss taking is going to worry me, just dont piss in my beer. i can handle nervous breakdowns as well. thats another story.

BigMomma

I'll tell you this Coola, if we could down tools right now we would. The hardest bit would be the choice of what we end up doing, Motorhoming fulltime, Cruising the UK & European Canals fulltime or buying ourselves a small two bedroom cottage in France and re-locating over there permanently. Ah well, roll on October 16th, my Birthday and the start date for our 5 year countdown to a new life :D

Adverts