fiat ducato 2.8jtd ,,any good

raggity

hi all.its been a long time since ive been on the forum as we sold our hymer 2 years ago..now in a flat on a main road,,i hate....I,m looking at getting a new motorhome so we can go back to fulltiming and ive seen a fiat ducato 2.8 jtdi hymer for sale..2002 model..has anyone got experience or advice please...cheers

chrisjones18

hi all.its been a long time since ive been on the forum as we sold our hymer 2 years ago..now in a flat on a main road,,i hate....I,m looking at getting a new motorhome so we can go back to fulltiming and ive seen a fiat ducato 2.8 jtdi hymer for sale..2002 model..has anyone got experience or advice please...cheers
Snail has that very model, (he bought it new) try messaging him. Though he has not been on for a while.
It's the cam belt engine so make sure it's been done. I have the newer model in a ci and had no with it.

Willum

Snail has that very model, (he bought it new) try messaging him. Though he has not been on for a while.
It's the cam belt engine so make sure it's been done. I have the newer model in a ci and had no with it.
I ran a 2003 2.8 JTD, towing a fully loaded, 5 ton, Burstner 748 Argos around for 5 years. Did lots of miles, all the way down Morocco until we ran out of decent roads (didn't fancy 5 tons of front wheel drive on sand roads) It was well looked after, had the cambelt changed either on time, or mileage and it NEVER let us down, no so much as a cough.
The only criticism I had was at that weight, with the original gearbox ratios, 5th was too high and couldn't be maintained except with a tail wind on the level, or downhill. I'm not joking! The engine was labouring if you tried, even flooring the throttle didn't do it, just raised the fuel consumption and made more noise. The turbo wasn't really on song until about 2100 rpm and in 5th that was quite often too quick for the road you were on.
The solution sounds drastic but is in reality quite straightforward. You fit the lower ration 5th gears. The box didn't need to come out, they're in the tin cover on the end of the box. A competent and knowledgeable mechanic will do it in under 2 hours. I haven't checked but I'd imagine the parts are still available.
In short: if looked after in the past (most are probably getting on a bit now) it's one of the older, simpler, more reliable engines - but if you're worried about green credentials, from memory it's only Euro 3
Will ;-)

Nomadic

We had a 2001 model on a Lunar 780 at 3850 kgs new, plus a tow car on an A frame. most reliable power unit, although as Will says 5th gear was a little on the high side.

Adverts