'ello! First time full timer here. Bit of a leap but WTF.

vwalan

hello. welcome to the fun.
mind its been a bit quiet lately .
think many are away and for others winter takes its toll.
soon be spring and the sun has started to show its face. have a good one . cheers alan.

BigMomma

Welcome to the forum :thumb:

Where do you intend to travel ? I am sure you are aware by now of the travel restrictions within the EU when the Transition Period ends (currently that will be on 1st January 2021, unless their is an extension to that transition period) However, there are lots of Countries within Europe that are not member states of the EU and then there is also Morroco to consider, a beautiful Country and Motorhome friendly :thumb: The UK itself, although not as geared up for Motorhomers as much as Europe,has still got lots of lovely areas to see.

Enjoy your life and your wandering :)

Digitalimager

Where do you intend to travel ? I am sure you are aware by now of the travel restrictions within the EU when the Transition Period ends (currently that will be on 1st January 2021, unless their is an extension to that transition period) However, there are lots of Countries within Europe that are not member states of the EU and then there is also Morroco to consider, a beautiful Country and Motorhome friendly :thumb: The UK itself, although not as geared up for Motorhomers as much as Europe,has still got lots of lovely areas to see.

Thanks all. Am having a solar panel fitted so can park off grid and want to head up to and explore Scotland more. Love it up there. Want to go over to Europe too as soon as I have the pet passport sorted out. We’ll see how it turns out
The freedom to roll like a stone B773EC18-13F8-4EE5-854A-FA7E1C5297BD.jpeg

vwalan

you may find you need a roof full of solar to be ideal.
i find 6x80watt panels ideal for spain ,portugal or morocco in winter.
mind southern spain is good .france doesnt seem to be ideal in winter ,uk well soon be spring ,the sun shows its head sometimes in winter.
ideal with pets passports , used to take mine all over eu. and maroc . the last one left just before the passports scheme started but mr. blair got me permission to bring her back as they delayed the start date.
15 yrs later she died but never mind . dont have one now as i cant walk too good and they need lots of exercise.
get the titra result and keep the jabs up to date its not difficult. mind might have to go back to how it was for individual countries like it was years ago. just seeing a vet every time you crossed a border etc . it worked though. have fun smile and talk to the locals .

Digitalimager

you may find you need a roof full of solar to be ideal.
i find 6x80watt panels ideal for spain ,portugal or morocco in winter.
mind southern spain is good .france doesnt seem to be ideal in winter ,uk well soon be spring ,the sun shows its head sometimes in winter.
ideal with pets passports , used to take mine all over eu. and maroc . the last one left just before the passports scheme started but mr. blair got me permission to bring her back as they delayed the start date.
15 yrs later she died but never mind . dont have one now as i cant walk too good and they need lots of exercise.
get the titra result and keep the jabs up to date its not difficult. mind might have to go back to how it was for individual countries like it was years ago. just seeing a vet every time you crossed a border etc . it worked though. have fun smile and talk to the locals .
Will do. Thanks, mate.
See you around.

Digitalimager

Thanks, Momma,
Am wanting to explore all those areas. Do you not need to travel to/pass through the EU to get to those other areas, anyway?
Regards
John

fanofatan

:welcome:
we picked up our pet passport 2 weeks ago, ATM, all we needed was
1) Microchip which the dog had (tick)
2) Make sure their boosters are up to date (tick)
3) They have been treated for Tapeworm
4) They have to get a Rabies injection, then after 21 days you're ready to roll

Who knows if anything will change now we've left the EU, we'll cross that bridge when and IF we get there!
Our Vet tried to get us to get a blood test (more money), you don't need one... unless you're going to a 'non listed EU country'
https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/eu-and-non-eu-listed-countries

Enjoy your travels, not sure how power hungry your van is? or how much capacity you have in your leisure batteries? (200A Hr etc)
Off grid in Gods own Country Scotland you'll struggle big time with one Solar Panel, unless you're moving around everyday and can top your leisure battery up that way (B2B charger or if you have an older van a split relay charger)
If you have a portable 230V generator you're laughing, that'll boost your batteries every couple of days if your parked up remotely and save you going to a campsite

Digitalimager

:welcome:
we picked up our pet passport 2 weeks ago, ATM, all we needed was
1) Microchip which the dog had (tick)
2) Make sure their boosters are up to date (tick)
3) They have been treated for Tapeworm
4) They have to get a Rabies injection, then after 21 days you're ready to roll

Who knows if anything will change now we've left the EU, we'll cross that bridge when and IF we get there!
Our Vet tried to get us to get a blood test (more money), you don't need one... unless you're going to a 'non listed EU country'
https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/eu-and-non-eu-listed-countries

Enjoy your travels, not sure how power hungry your van is? or how much capacity you have in your leisure batteries? (200A Hr etc)
Off grid in Gods own Country Scotland you'll struggle big time with one Solar Panel, unless you're moving around everyday and can top your leisure battery up that way (B2B charger or if you have an older van a split relay charger)
If you have a portable 230V generator you're laughing, that'll boost your batteries every couple of days if your parked up remotely and save you going to a campsite
Right. You have me worried now. A single 200 watt panel was recommended by my local Caravan/Motorhome service yard. That is being fitted now to my Auto Sleeper Amethyst having explained my requirements.
Tell me, please, how long I can remain parked before I need to go for a drive to top up the leisure battery and how far. Approximately.
Thanks

BigMomma

Thanks, Momma,
Am wanting to explore all those areas. Do you not need to travel to/pass through the EU to get to those other areas, anyway?
Regards
John
Yes, but you just work out how much time you need, so for example, you could spend 12 weeks within EU, travelling and seeing places, then, dependent on where you were of course, allow a week to get to Algeciras (Southern Spain) then cross to Morocco, spend 90 days in Morocco then return to Spain and you have another 90 days within the EU :thumb: It's just a matter of travel logistics. We can travel from Bilbao to Algeciras in just 12 hours if needed (in the Motorhome). Anywhere else in Europe is just the same logistics, spend as much time as you want in EU but allow sufficient time to cross into the non-EU Country.

Digitalimager

Yes, but you just work out how much time you need, so for example, you could spend 12 weeks within EU, travelling and seeing places, then, dependent on where you were of course, allow a week to get to Algeciras (Southern Spain) then cross to Morocco, spend 90 days in Morocco then return to Spain and you have another 90 days within the EU :thumb: It's just a matter of travel logistics. We can travel from Bilbao to Algeciras in just 12 hours if needed (in the Motorhome). Anywhere else in Europe is just the same logistics, spend as much time as you want in EU but allow sufficient time to cross into the non-EU Country.
Sounds good to me.

BigMomma

Right. You have me worried now. A single 200 watt panel was recommended by my local Caravan/Motorhome service yard. That is being fitted now to my Auto Sleeper Amethyst having explained my requirements.
Tell me, please, how long I can remain parked before I need to go for a drive to top up the leisure battery and how far. Approximately.
Thanks
We have just one 150w Solar Panel and 2 x 90amp Leisure Batteries. It will depend on how much Solar Energy the panel receives and provides into your batteries, and of course what your power equirements are in the van, as to how long you manage off grid or before you need to take a drive. Dependent on how low your battery power levels are will depend on how long a drive you will need to take, it will also depend on how old your batteries are and how quickly they drain We have just completed 13 days totally off grid in Spain, but we had full sunshine every day !! In U.K. in Autumn/Winter you may get several consecutive days, without hardly any Solar, in which case you either need to invest in a portable generator, pay for EHU on a Campsite, or go for drives every day. Most people head South to the sunshine (Algarve (Portugal)' Southern Spain or Southern Morocco), but even over there the sun does not always shine every day, but generally speaking, if you hit a bad patch of weather it tends not to last for more than 3-4 days. You can have as many Solar Panels on your roof as you can fit, but if there is no Solar getting to them, it makes no difference at all whether you have one or six !!

BigMomma

Maybe. Maybe not
Most vans, even old one's will usually have a meter that shows the amount of power coming into the van. Sometimes, in older vans there is only the one power gauge, when on EHU it will go to the highest level and when on batteries you usually see a slight dip. Sometimes there is a 'rocker' switch between Mains/Battery. On newer vans there are usually two different displays, one to show the level of the vehicle battery (starter battery) and one to show the level of the Leisure Battery (or batteries). If you have not got the van yet, ask the dealer/seller to show you all of the onboard switches and how they work :thumb: If you have already got the vehicle, get the manual and go through it, in the van, familiarising yourself with what does what and how they operate:thumb:

Digitalimager

You’re a diamond, BigMomma.
‘Tis true not in possession yet. The gentleman working on her (Birdie) is going to explain everything to me when done and ready.
Soon, everything will be clear. The road will be open. The world my oyster. 3CE028D7-03E5-47B7-93E8-56F9FAC862C6.jpeg3CE028D7-03E5-47B7-93E8-56F9FAC862C6.jpeg

Adverts