Decision made!

Ann 'N' Alan

Thanks for all the replies! You seem to really get around VWAlan, those photos are great and very inspiring!

I know I could alter the gearing via the axle diff but that seems like hard work as well as expensive, assuming I could get a diff that suits. I was just looking for more mpg as on receipt the average mpg was showing 17.7mpg which I would like to improve. Tyres will need changing fairly soon so I thought it would be a simpler option to review the size once they are completely gone, though of course, one I would have to live with for quite a while even if it turned out to be a mistake!!

The other option of course is a remap for better mpg - does anyone have any experience of this with Iveco's?? And is 17.7mpg what I should be expecting or is this down to drivers that don't pay for their own fuel??

I haven't driven it far enough to get much of an idea what sort of mpg I'll get but I do drive on the slow side - bit of an old man you see - so for now the advice to leave as is and see how it goes is probably the one to follow, it's just nice to have options for the future. Experience tells me it's how you drive that makes the biggest difference, I've had a 2litre diesel Ford for the past few years and trying to keep mpg high I spent a while keeping revs low and changing up as early as possible - failed miserably and then realised I was keeping the revs so low the turbo wasn't spooling up so wasting the whole point of having the turbo really! Keeping the revs on 2-3k I get much better mpg - you live and learn!

Thanks to everyone who responds and offers help, I've been a bit blown away by all the feedback here!

chrisjones18

What engine have you got?
From 2004 or about that time it could have the f1c engine, this is a 3ltr common rail engine with a cam chain and a egr valve that can play up causing high fuel usage.
I have that engine.... a small slit in the vacumnn pipes to the valve will drop it from 25 to 15 mpg.
Before that you would be looking at a 2.3 or 2.8 engine with a timing belt, though both of these should do between 20 and 25.
After 2011 you had a multiple choice of engines.... can't help with them other than the latest ones snapping camshafts

sundowners

I think I would check tyre pressures are correct to your weight and drive it at around 2500 rpm and see how it goes, changing a diff, if you go that route is not a big job, but it does mean pulling both axles out a bit so disturbing quite a bit of stuff that I would prefer to leave alone. We have found that it doesn't make a big difference to mpg how fast we drive but we do travel at 6 t most of the time, (8.25 with the trailer on!!!) And let's be fair that is a lot for a 2.8 to do!!! We are ok with the mpg at around 21 but frustrating as we used to get that with our Cummins diesel Dodge Ram running at the same sort of weight but that had a HUGE amount of power for hills etc. But the Dodge could use an incredible amount of fuel if pushed hard!!!!!!
Apart from having to be patient on some long hills we have been very happy with our Iveco and if we had to change it would get the same again!!!

vwalan

Low gear ratio is great,I don't see the problem, it will teach you to drive slower what's the rush.Mines low and is ideal for hills and mountains. Although it will go faster if I want it too I don't go faster than 45 even on motorways because I don't have to.
I had a free membership on that site Chris but as I didn't use it for tittle tattle it was stopped so that was that lol
what 45mph on a motorway . thats fast!!!! as you know bob ans me very often travel even slower than that. even if we should accidentally make a mistake and go on one of them race track roads.
when on a travel around just drive as slow as you can ,have a good look around and enjoy the small villages etc .
driving trucks for a living we had to drive at the limit all the time ,but now its how long can we take to get there and can we take a bit longer.
have fun and watch out for low bridges and narrow roads . we find all them and go back to them every year and say hello have we been here before ,or five or six.

coolasluck

Get on with you you must have been showing off then when we were with you ,you were racing away from me and Bob.I bet he's going faster this year. He gave me a text the other day telling me he was at cullera already. We are still in Catalonia inland touring both inland and the coast before going inland around Barcelona and inand to the deltebre.This trip we have moved every day bar three or four occasions when we spent two days. Longer stays though at spots in late December and January. Going right around this year so may come home late may this year who knows

vwalan

but back to the original thing . changing the gearing etc might make going up mountain tracks ,roads etc difficult.
also getting off damp grass etc .
its not worth worrying about untill you have had a few trips and then decide .
low gearing can also help when coming down steep hills .
use the engine as brakes .

Ann 'N' Alan

Well I think the consensus is to leave it alone and see so I think that's what I'll do - certainly until the tyres need replacing.

I do generally drive fairly slow and we aim to keep away from motorways etc, taking our time travelling as we'll be in no rush - its not like we have to get home!!

Chris, my engine is the 3.0 litre chain cam engine so that's interesting info on the EGR valve, I'll take a look but how do you know if there is a problem? Except poor mpg of course. I'll have a good look at the pipe to see if its perished at all, may even change it anyway and clean the valve out if its not too big a job. I've heard about EGR removal too so that might be worth looking at though no doubt it means remapping of the ecu....

vwalan

also changing the tyres could annoy the insurance company you are with.
very often they only want you to have the size thats original.
it can be classed as an alteration.

BigMomma

Well I think the consensus is to leave it alone and see so I think that's what I'll do - certainly until the tyres need replacing.

I do generally drive fairly slow and we aim to keep away from motorways etc, taking our time travelling as we'll be in no rush - its not like we have to get home!!

Chris, my engine is the 3.0 litre chain cam engine so that's interesting info on the EGR valve, I'll take a look but how do you know if there is a problem? Except poor mpg of course. I'll have a good look at the pipe to see if its perished at all, may even change it anyway and clean the valve out if its not too big a job. I've heard about EGR removal too so that might be worth looking at though no doubt it means remapping of the ecu....
I had a urgent recall notification on my van last December from FIAT in respect of a potential failure of the EGR valve and had to take it in to have it replaced. Apparently a fault on about 70,000 of their vehicles Europe wide !! The notification stated that failure of this valve would cause 'total loss of power' to the engine.

It took almost 10 months to get my van in to the dealers and the EGR valve replaced due to FIAT having a lack of parts and in that time I drove to Spain, used the van for 4 months including tours up in the mountains, drove back from Spain to Yorkshire, drove down to Devon then back up to Nottinghamshire before finally getting it in to Dealership and having a new EGR valve fitted (they fitted this as a matter of course, whether the vehicle needed it or not !!)

May be worth just getting your's checked out just for peace of mind before you start your travels :thumb:

Adverts