Decision made!

coolasluck

If
fit for holiday use? I must have been on a permenant very comfortable holiday for the past ten and half years then !!

Most I know living 365 In the van on the road would agree with me. We used to own a hymer and although fond of it we would never have gave up bricks and mortar to live in it
Sometimes there is something worth communicating about ;)

It's like a morgue in here these days with the only posts seemingly from spammers.Even Vwalan doesn't bother anymore and he doesn't get bored very easily!!

BigMomma

Yes it went very quiet for a long period, I often come on and browse but if their is nothing that I can provide to the subject matter then I read but don't contribute. Seem to be a few that come on, give little information and don't respond to questions ? As you say, where are all these 'Spammers' coming from ?

coolasluck

Tis a shame it's not what it once was

BigMomma

There is no reason why it shouldn't be, it is in the forum members hands. There have always been those who come on, get the information they want then disappear into the ether. There has always been banter and occasionally more serious exchanges of opinions. Some members stop Motorhoming for a variety of reasons so no longer have any interest or need to be part of the forum group. But the stats show that there is still a good and growing 'membership', so the question should be, why are they not 'active' on a regular basis ? Perhaps within the existing forum membership there is a growing divide, instead of it being a forum of like-minded traveller's exchanging views and opinions on 'all' aspects associated to the Motorhome lifestyle, it is getting to become more of a forum about what type of vehicle you travel in creating a 'them' and 'us' scenario? Just my own observation and opinion you understand, I may of course be wrong. Certainly, if I was looking to join the forum now as a prospective new member, wether that be someone planning on purchasing a 'production built unit' or indeed considering a 'self build conversion', but read some of the posts, perhaps I would have second thoughts about contributing :think:

Willum

At the time I did what AnneandAlan are trying to do, there was no choice for me - live in it, or live in a rented, scabby, little, flat/house/whatever. It was a lifestyle choice, one I welcomed and one that has given me some of the most enjoyable times of my life. I much regret that the reality is I can't actually fulltime for ever. To be honest, I think the majority on here do it as a lifestyle choice but then not all find they can truly fulltime continuously - sadly because life can be made very difficult without a permanent address - and I'm awaiting flack and 'it's not a problem' responses. I also think that many of us are in a 'certain age' bracket and there is no denying that the inevitable health problems make it a bit tougher.
It's always 'each to his own' and don't anyone presume to tell someone they're doing it the wrong way. It ain't yours to do.
To anyone who seeks to kick this thread off into an airing of opinions and prejudices:
Perhaps we ought to get back to helping the OP (AnneandAlan) by answering his questions and offering the best advice that we can, based on the experience we have. I think that's probably the main reason they came here, not for politics. There's enough of that in the national psyche at the moment and it's nice to escape from it.
Now. About these batteries and chargers we should be using.............................
Will;)

coolasluck

I just wrote a long post on here but have decided to delete it as I wonder why I bothered in the first place.Perhaps I'm bored.

At the end of the day it is a forum, a place to give opinion and listen to other's opinion - unfortunately, as with many forums, a lot of members only want to do the first bit and prefer to shout down others opinions. We should all remember that they are just that - opinions. If I want certified facts I'll go elsewhere. I started this thread and have had fantastic response, from people with experiences that may help me, and I have changed my decisions based on some of that. :thumb::thumb:Nobody has said I have got anything wrong even if they don't agree with my decision - and I thank all the contributors for their time and willingness to help -that's what it's all about.

The only time I accept people telling others they are wrong is where it concerns safety - there are right ways and wrong ways to do much of what we do such as the electrics and gas in our vans - but put in the right way, it is only help and concern rather than criticism. I'd certainly say if I thought someone was endangering themselves but I'd point them to information on how to do it safely. Too many people post on forums without reading what they write before hitting 'post reply' and simply don.t see how they come across to others.

I think this forum is great and if it's getting a resurgence then that's great too, there's so much to learn about what we do and decisions are hard (and expensive) if you get them wrong so listening to others is so important, even if it doesn't change my mind at least I've seen another perspective to consider.

So thanks again to everyone, I think I'll be on this forum a lot!!

And now bit of an update - the build is going slow!!! Due to circumstances, I'm still ordering items so now I have to sit at home all day waiting for stuff to arrive ( cooker yesterday, fridge today) and since my van is elsewhere I've only had a couple of hours on it so far this week - very frustrating! Still, at least we're at the 'putting stuff in' stage now instead of the 'pulling stuff out and cleaning the mess up' stage!

We spent weeks planning the layout etc, but then once we got the van it all seemed to go out the window and little remains of the plans! It's all so different once you stand in the space and see it for real in 3d but I'm sure it'll all work out in the end, I've always been a bit of a 'make it up as I go along' type and it seems to have worked so far.

All the big purchases are made now, so hopefully by this time next week I'll have a lot more progress to report!

sundowners

It's been said here many times----- you can ask any question and you will get several different answers, it is up to you to sort them out!!!!!!
We can only give comments on our situation and mistakes, but we all have different expectations on our van life, plus things change as we go along our way!!!! We have travelled quite a bit but now we find that we don't really have much of that urge to keep moving around!!!! We spend most of our time now in a quiet peaceful spot in Portugal, we are getting older and are very happy to absorb the atmosphere here, it suits us at the moment!!!!!!!

BigMomma

Two popular phrases spring to mind, 'One persons meat is another persons poison' and 'Variety is the spice of life'

To get back to Original Post, Ann 'N' Allan, good to hear of your progress, any chance of a few photo's of your build :thumb:

chrisjones18

I wanted to "build one" but a couple of things got in the way. Arthritis in my hands being one and the one who shall be obeyed saying " I've seen what yoi do with wood and if you think im living it it for any length of time" you can forget it.
So we have the bit of fiberglass and aluminium in the photo to the left.... with everything in it I would have fitted myself.... just fwd not rwd,
There are always compromises to make when a life is shared.
Plans on the other hand get turned upside down at anytime, as we have found out.
Mechanical stuff I can do, but electrics?....... hell no.

coolasluck

Two popular phrases spring to mind, 'One persons meat is another persons poison' and 'Variety is the spice of life'

To get back to Original Post, Ann 'N' Allan, good to hear of your progress, any chance of a few photo's of your build :thumb:

coolasluck

LoveBloody phones!
Ann n Alan if you need my opinion on doing your self build then don't hesitate to in box me.There are a few on here who have done a self build and they will offer you the best advice. Although I hate to say it the wildcamping website would also be a good place to get self build advice from as well ,although you will have to pay a subscription charge ,but for me the advice the self build members there were invaluable to me for opinions.You will though also get your keyboard warriors on there as well though.
Good Luck with your build and I hope to see you on the road in the near future.️️

Ann n Alan, I've been giving it some thought about your "low gearing" query. The Iveco Daily is a versatile piece of kit being in many guises, van, truck, bus and so on. Each of these uses means different gearing. Iveco overcame this problem by fitting different ratio rear axle differentials. Your service manual will tell which one you have fitted to yours. From that you can make enquiries as to which replace with to satisfy your needs. This of course is if you find you can't live with what you have. Personally I would live with what I have

vwalan

heres nuggets conversion , its a truck but gives ideas for you.
www.motorhome365.com/forum/threads/my-proper-full-time-living-prison-truck-conversion-by-bad-karma-konversions.1545/
or look at fulltimers
http://www.motorhome365.com/forum/threads/iveco-10-cell-prison-van-conversion.804/
or coollers coachhttp://www.motorhome365.com/forum/threads/the-coach.1867/
i cant get pics to work but it might be me coolla will help i,m sure.

mine when it was empty then the front inside ,then rear bed etc and one when the vw lt was pulling it .
last one on a piste up the atlas mountains . i,m following purple bob in his old bus , the drop to the right was incredible.
thousands of feet drop.

but have fun and enjoy what ever you have.

Attachments

Willum

I like the pictures of yours Alan, especially the last one. One of those 'I hope we don't meet anything.....' moments? - or maybe a lot longer than a moment? The question is, though:
Who took it and from where? :)
Will

chrisjones18

Ann n Alan, I've been giving it some thought about your "low gearing" query. The Iveco Daily is a versatile piece of kit being in many guises, van, truck, bus and so on. Each of these uses means different gearing. Iveco overcame this problem by fitting different ratio rear axle differentials. Your service manual will tell which one you have fitted to yours. From that you can make enquiries as to which replace with to satisfy your needs. This of course is if you find you can't live with what you have. Personally I would live with what I have
i bought a 112 Scania with a low ratio axle in it, i didnt know when i bought it as it came from a mate.
it would only do 55mph [no limiter] now heres the good bit------ it did the same mpg as my other 2 that were geared for 80mph
i would say :try it first: then if you need to change , change the diff not the tyres.

chrisjones18

LoveBloody phones!
Ann n Alan if you need my opinion on doing your self build then don't hesitate to in box me.There are a few on here who have done a self build and they will offer you the best advice. Although I hate to say it the wildcamping website would also be a good place to get self build advice from as well ,although you will have to pay a subscription charge ,but for me the advice the self build members there were invaluable to me for opinions.You will though also get your keyboard warriors on there as well though.
Good Luck with your build and I hope to see you on the road in the near future.️️
got to agree about that site, also i am a member and you need to sort the rough from the chaff... you can read all but not post without paying

vwalan

I like the pictures of yours Alan, especially the last one. One of those 'I hope we don't meet anything.....' moments? - or maybe a lot longer than a moment? The question is, though:
Who took it and from where? :)
Will
actually my next door neighbours girlfriend took it . they were in front in a ldv van converted .
they came back before bob and me and had snow in northern spain.
look carefully at the last one and you will see my old vw towing the teardrop in the mountains .
takes all sorts of m,homes be them self build or bought . just have an adventure and lots of fun.
the last pic was took by an austrian friend, he had a vw as well at the time.

Attachments

coolasluck

Low gear ratio is great,I don't see the problem, it will teach you to drive slower what's the rush.Mines low and is ideal for hills and mountains. Although it will go faster if I want it too I don't go faster than 45 even on motorways because I don't have to.
I had a free membership on that site Chris but as I didn't use it for tittle tattle it was stopped so that was that lol