Council Tax and Full Timers

vwalan

its like it in a few places . where i live in cornwall its hard to find a good long term site . some do turn a blind eye.
i decided be. tter to keep the house .
i disappear and then come back to uk for summer .
i actually like where i live so no point in selling .
plus it goes up in value every year. better than money in the bank.
mind there,s some very cheap places here in spain at the moment . alot cheaper than last year . most seem to have gone down twenty grand in price .
coola and i was looking at some real nice places only the other day.

square_steve

mind there,s some very cheap places here in spain at the moment . alot cheaper than last year . most seem to have gone down twenty grand in price .
coola and i was looking at some real nice places only the other day.
Same here, also the long term rental is great value with 2 bed apartments under 2k€ year and rather swish seaview ones 2.5-3 and no messing with waste & water.
I'm touring this year which is great for a change but normally take a compound further south for winter.

chrisjones18

In my opinion it is wrong for anyone, including fulltimers to avoid council tax. Everyone generates waste, uses roads and footpaths, libraries, and relies on the first class job police carry out along with all the other services funded by council tax.
Just because it's the public purse doesn't make it alright to take without putting in.
I would have preferred a "pay as you go" system as for the last 50 years as it definitely would have cost less than what I have paid in.
the government did away with poll tax [ fulltimers free camping/cheap site parking would never have paid then] and replaced it with "council tax" ----a tax on property so they could get even more money until you reached 80 years young or lived on your own, then you might get a discount if you fill in enough forms correctly.
its on a sliding scale, the more the property is worth ,the more you pay or so they would have us mere mortals believe.

vwalan

Same here, also the long term rental is great value with 2 bed apartments under 2k€ year and rather swish seaview ones 2.5-3 and no messing with waste & water.
I'm touring this year which is great for a change but normally take a compound further south for winter.
i just travel around in my truck.
last year inc. ferry ,diesel, food i took and food beer i bought only cost 1694 quid all in .
brought full diesel tanks back to uk . never bought diesel in uk all summer .
brought beer and wine back ,again didnt need to buy any in uk. mind beer and diesel for home is on top of that figure.
this year will be less as we got more euro to the pound.
bring alot of food from uk as spain just like the rest of europe is too expensive.
good job the beer etc is cheap .
wouldnt rent or buy here bit like money down the drain.
but do keep looking incase i do find that hard to miss bargain.
think i prefer uk anyway . shame its not hot in winter but lets hope thats going to change.

BigMomma

bring alot of food from uk as spain just like the rest of europe is too expensive.
I still do not understand why you say that food is more expensive over here than in UK. Even when travelling in Portugal/Spain in my van, and now being over here in the apartment, we do not find it any more expensive than UK, in fact it is pretty comparable. I could understand it if you said people buying UK brands over here will find it more expensive, as UK brands are more expensive over here, but why buy UK brands when you can get the equivalent produce over here, with only a minority of exceptions, but I never liked 'Marmite' anyway :) If you are just comparing it with your own eating requirements then perhaps I could understand it, although can't say that I have seen too many stores selling tinned Fray Bentos Steak Pies over here :giggle:

Matrix Man

Having lived in Spain for the past 5 years I can confirm as fact that food is cheaper in Spain than in the UK.
The same with fuel, gas, water and alcohol . The only areas is electric which is very high.

vwalan

i can only say things like a kg of plain rice 40p in uk ,instant coffee 47pfor 100grms in uk .
dried fruit cheaper in uk. meat cheaper in uk . pork in asda was 2.25 a kg in asda as i left uk .eggs .cheaper uk. pasta cheaper in uk .
i am talking super market brands .
we find the veg not as good quality ,the spuds especially . plus carrots dont keep, onions go soft or black inside . mind soon peppers will be free and tomatoes if we pass through the tunnels . just get the through out ones for free .
also sliced bread far cheaper in uk . 38p a loaf in uk.
fuel , fags and alcohol cheaper in spain.
even lemonade is cheaper in uk . and in 2ltr bottles not 1.5ltr ones.
spain used to be cheap but hasnt been for several years .
water can be cheap in uk if you go on a mtr and be careful with it .
car parts etc far cheaper in uk . tyres , batteries etc .

vwalan

i actually dont spend very much in spain . but do look at prices . having spent years in the food retail business i cant help but do it. bring as much as i can from uk.
spain gets dearer every year.
but there are somethings that are cheaper.
but food clothes etc normally i find dearer. never used to i was brought up buying spanish clothes shoes etc . always bought while here but cant do it now .
as a teenagr always had hand made leather m,bike jackets made in spain . but thats gone as well. shoes used to be cheap again not now.
i used to buy levy jeans , they were levi , but made in spain .
every company that set up in spain changed their name a bit . like fiat became seat,etc .
think spain went down hill when franco died .

Dunroamin

Unless like Alan you only buy up the offers when in UK we both think food is cheaper in Spain ,fresh fruit and veg on the market,meat ok but depends what you eat but for us cheaper. Here in Morocco all meat now 4,50 euro the kilo,fruit and veg average 50 euro cents kilo, 1 euro a day for semi wilding with guardian.

vwalan

all i can say is fore of pork in asda 2.25 quid a killo when i left uk. sliced loaf 38p in asda ,lidl or aldi . possibly other super markets .
sardines 34p a tin 65 chere in spain .
rice 40p a kg .65c here in spain.
even peppers 78p for 3 . 99c here so just about 2p cheaper in spain.
but the italian green peppers about 20p dearer in spain.
the markets have rubbish quality . we look when ever we see a market but very poor quality .
might be good quality compared to germany .
all meat seems dear here .
except dog meat tubes .
i know mortadela is its real name. thats ok and cheap.
carrots were 47p when i left uk .
bananas 68p.
maroc always was good for veg .
could buy a sack full of peppers for 15 dirham not many years ago.
but the beer is cheap here 3.95euro today in lidl for 18 cans of argus .
but the local one as been cleared out till monday.
i wonder why. ha ha .

Dunroamin

I bet you dont get freshly shot wild boar delivered to your door free.We did yesterday,hung it and today skinned ,gutted and made the video,Gary couldnt watch,Dutch Pete and I did it.

vwalan

no unfortunately we dont .
mind we do see wild boars as we drive north through the natural parks going north through spain .
you could buy boar meat in one of the butchers in agadir market .or in innisgane ,the boars are livuing in the woods out that way.
by the way it should have been bled straight after it was shot . the heart helps pump the blood out .
you may find stomach upsets on the way.

Last edited:

BigMomma

Last year, and year before, when we were 'actually' on the road in the van we often saw the hunters and their hounds gathering in the mornings to go off shooting the 'pigs', as they referred to them :thumb:

Dunroamin

The boar was shot yesterday and imediatley hung we were partying and the local garage owner who shot it,nice and clean brought it to us where we again hung it.It was divided up between 7 Brits (4 funsters) 1 Dutch (Pete) and 1 German (Heike) we have just eaten the filet with apple and the Funsters had a nice goulash this afternoon and leg off boar for tomorrow

vwalan

thats ok. bleeding must be done imediately .
i do know what i,m talking about. hope you enjoyed it.
i never like when i hear of folk eating road kill. bleeding is very important. if bled ok.
been hot here today bet it was hot were you are.
saw some pics of tagga beach today still no real buildings just a few huts . not two storey buildings as a few years ago.
be interesting to see how it goes on .
might even get there one year and stir things up.
are the local lads still round or have they gone off as business people and are rich now?
bet some of the girls are still there. mind they werent girls then never mind now.
bet most of them must be touching 50.

coolasluck

Bloody foggy here most of the day ,moving on day tomorrow, where we will stop nobody knows:)

vwalan

use your telly look at the weather or el tiempo or something like that .should be good here tomorrow . we are moving south . bob is tired of his run around the blocks and so we move on. but not far wil we hope be just south of alicante. its marked on the map.

Adverts