Buying food on the road

AlaskaGuy

As I move closer to de - constructing my life in house/career etc, I was thinking about asking you guys about the daily routines including how you buy things like fresh fruit-n-veg and bread. How much can the fridge hold andwhat keeps best? How far is the nearest market/Lidl/vino collapso shop etc? How about getting fish fresh from the boats? Or finding out about local versions of our UK farmers markets? I am hoping to make our move-to-mobile into a move to a better quality of life at all levels. Answers on a post (card) please!

hpold

And what non-perishables do you all carry in the cupboard? Baked beans and sardines...what else?
There are lot to store,steak and kidney pies in a tin, corned beef,peas, batcholors cup of soup (stand by) , tinned fruit, in fact all the tin stuff in the shops. WE have a range and just stock up on the way . Fresh veg we get at a market or at M&S and ASDA at 7 at night when they reduce the price of things still fresh that saves a lot . There is always a lidle or other store on the way so we do not worry about it . Live the same life as in a house but better .

vwalan

bake your own bread and cakes . as and when you need them . also pies and pasties .
i still say the veg bought in asda here in uk can out last the veg bought abroad. and can be cheaper.
in spain i do buy the pan de molde sold in lidl or mercadona . sliced bread and it keeps for ages .
porridge oats buy in uk . i deal for mixing with other things to make a muesli or a dash of it in the bread mix or for flapjacks etc .
and take lots of cryovac packed chedder cheese much better than that foreign stuff.
and bacon . both cheese and bacon dont require a fridge just cryovac wrapped and kept in a cool place . anything up to 6 months is easy.
but as you travel you find things you like in every country . i have some spanish mortadela siciliana here now ,bought in april but use by is 26,8 14 but will last alot longer . great for summer salads etc . also fry it etc . its a spicy spam type meat. 2euro a kilo so very cheap .

sundowners

one of the things we love about being abroard is roaming around different shops and looking for different stuff to try out, when passing through little hamlets in the Spain/Portuguese mountains we keep an eye out for little bakers shops you often smell them before spotting them-----don't be stupid about saving a cent here or there------that fresh baked bread cooked in an old wood oven is worth a cent or two more, and you are doing your little bit to put a little money in the pockets of those that need it------and I just love the thrill it gives an old lady in the shop to speak with people from another Country ------We can't get enough of those old shops, probably unchanged for decades or even centuries----even the old lady:rofl::rofl::rofl:
BUT-----if you must have white sliced mushy bread ---go with Alan to Aldi, they do it cheap.:(;)

aikidoamigo

how about foraging, we should start a topic on finding food for free...

I saw a program once about a bloke scavenging stuff from behind ASDA when they throw it out.

:wondering:

vwalan

no the aldi one isnt so nice . mind we do bake lots our selves .
i find i,m not a lover of portugese bread i find it too hard .
you cant beat fresh moroccan bread though .
that really is the best .

sundowners

no the aldi one isnt so nice . mind we do bake lots our selves .
i find i,m not a lover of portugese bread i find it too hard .
you cant beat fresh moroccan bread though .
that really is the best .

Hi Al
By the time you paid the ferry to Maroc and the diesel running from a fantastic Portuguese village it works out a bit expensive and time consuming just to get a loaf:rofl::rofl::rofl::banghead::banghead:

The Portuguese do some really good bread---you just need to experiment with whats available not just take the loaf at the front of the counter-----also they do really soft white rolls------we LOVE them:thumb:---------they don't keep well--------we eat them before they get stale:rofl::rofl:

BigMomma

As Stan said earlier, unless you are wanting to change your diet then just buy and eat what you do now. Europe have Superstores, Supermarkets, Local Shops, Markets etc. there are sometimes a few differences e.g. Spain only do Long Life Milk ! However, in the main, unless you really do have a special out of the ordinary dietary requirement, you can buy virtually like for like :thumb:

vwalan

Hi Al
By the time you paid the ferry to Maroc and the diesel running from a fantastic Portuguese village it works out a bit expensive and time consuming just to get a loaf:rofl::rofl::rofl::banghead::banghead:

The Portuguese do some really good bread---you just need to experiment with whats available not just take the loaf at the front of the counter-----also they do really soft white rolls------we LOVE them:thumb:---------they don't keep well--------we eat them before they get stale:rofl::rofl:
yes but as you say nothing wants to keep.
we do try to get miles into the wild . even on the coast . i want bread that will keep at least 3-4 days . specialy if on my own . two can eat it quicker of course . this is the trouble i have with the veg . in uk it lasts weeks ,in spain its only days . as a past buyer for tesco and coop i can say spanish and portugese quality isnt as high as here . but i also know they sell the best stuff to us in bulk .
any way if you are running from a portugese village to maroc that doesnt take diesel . ha ha .
silliest thing is you can buy portugese beer cheaper in spain than you can in portugal.
strange world we live in .
cornish sardines are sent to cadiz for the spanish to buy . we buy maroc caught and tinned sardines in uk cheaper than the moroccans . i take sardines to maroc to give to some of the staff i know actually work in the packing of them . sometimes the number on the tin is theirs . yet even with their staff discount we buy them cheaper .

vwalan

heres two nice moroccan breads . makes my mouth water just looking at them .
like you we have found some really good bakers tucked away.
these were bought in a very small village high in the mountains above the dades gorge . we actually had to wait for them to come out the oven . mmmm.

Attachments

sundowners

Spain only do Long Life Milk !Quote

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi if you want fresh milk, just look a bit harder, it is there:)----as BM and others say, virtually everything you can buy here is available in Spain/Portugal, but you may well pay a little more (or a little less) for some things

Last edited:

vwalan

yes fresh milk is in spain . also morocco . but you do have to look abit harder . mind i quite like the uht whole milk . dont get the skimmed stuff .
if going to morocco take lots as its a bit dearer over there.
i bring it home as well .
its getting easier for other countries foods in spain . even bacon can be bought in shops now .
proper salted bacon . as in danish style .
but after your first trip you soon learn what to take or bring back.

AlaskaGuy

What about markets? I have seen great fresh food market stalls in France, are they similar in Spain and Portugal? And how about Netherlands, Germany?

vwalan

i find the markets usually only sell the stuff that cant be sold to the big boys . not the same quality as we can buy here in uk.
even morocco has gone that way.
its cheaper but the quality as dropped.
long time since i was in germany or holland .
inland in spain or along the very top coast its better . but on the med its sold off in bulk . you can watch it happen .

BigMomma

E
What about markets? I have seen great fresh food market stalls in France, are they similar in Spain and Portugal? And how about Netherlands, Germany?
Everyone has differing standards of what is acceptable, whether it be size, shape, presentation, taste, price etc. my advice is get out there and sample a few for yourself and make up your own mind :thumb: In Portugal, not sure about other countries but think same will apply, if you go down to the harbour when the catch is being landed you can buy straight from the boat. They will even prep it all for you if you ask them ;)

Adverts