Another year's insurance sorted.

chrisjones18

I think you are right about 'some' Remainers & Leavers not reading, or indeed, not understanding how they would be affected, this does not just include Motorhomers. Lots of news stories in the Spanish Press (English Versions) whereby expats voted to leave :giggle: Now they are saying that they did not think that Brexit would impact on them ? :eek: I still do not agree with your assertion that food is cheaper in U.K. than it is in Spain ? We have been here for five months, same weekly food & drink budget as we have in U.K. and Sharon has saved enough, without cutting down or scrimping and scraping, to purchase a new Fridge/Freezer for the apartment next year out of the grocery budget. Now, if all you wanted to eat was UK branded items, which you can buy out here quite easily, then I would agree with you as they cost an arm and a leg to buy, but why would you want to do that when you can get virtually all the same products here in Spain that you can in U.K. :think:
In my mind Spain is do much cheaper than the UK, except for having to have 4 tyres the same make and year date for a mot.
Might just buy a place in Spain..?....

BigMomma

The only issue that I have with permanent residency in Spain, not being of State Pension age just yet, is the taxation system once we leave the EU. At the moment there is no 'double taxation' so we can get our incomes taxed at source in U.K. which means we get the UK Personal Tax Allowance of £12,500 (wef Apr 2019), the remainder is taxed at 20% (unless you are in the higher income bracket) however, Spanish Personal Tax Allowance is only €5,000 and the remainder is taxed at 24% (Andalucia), so a lot worse off if after Brexit there is no agreement to keep the arrangement as is :(

BigMomma

Addendum to my above post on UK/Spanish Taxation.

Spain could become an attractive proposition again if 'Labour' ever get back into being the leading party in the Government. Their plan is to do away with the Personal Tax Allowance altogether and give everybody, irrespective of whether they are working or not, £49 per week (£2,548 a year). So, Spain as a permanent home is still very much an option :thumb:

sundowners

The cost of food is much the same in Portugal------ if you buy local food you can reduce your food bill a bit------------- but if you go out of your way to buy British brands you will pay more.
I suppose we have gone to the other side of the fence regarding brexit------ now Portuguese!!!!!!!!------- but still British nationals!!!!!! Just resident of Portugal!!!

sundowners

In my mind Spain is do much cheaper than the UK, except for having to have 4 tyres the same make and year date for a mot.
Might just buy a place in Spain..?....

The law on tyres is the same in Portugal but we just had a car 'MOTd' there with an odd front one ,so not as bad as it seems!!!!.
Although it is tyres on each axle not ALL tyres!!

vwalan

I think you are right about 'some' Remainers & Leavers not reading, or indeed, not understanding how they would be affected, this does not just include Motorhomers. Lots of news stories in the Spanish Press (English Versions) whereby expats voted to leave :giggle: Now they are saying that they did not think that Brexit would impact on them ? :eek: I still do not agree with your assertion that food is cheaper in U.K. than it is in Spain ? We have been here for five months, same weekly food & drink budget as we have in U.K. and Sharon has saved enough, without cutting down or scrimping and scraping, to purchase a new Fridge/Freezer for the apartment next year out of the grocery budget. Now, if all you wanted to eat was UK branded items, which you can buy out here quite easily, then I would agree with you as they cost an arm and a leg to buy, but why would you want to do that when you can get virtually all the same products here in Spain that you can in U.K. :think:
dont worry i dont eat just uk brands . hardly any really.
i know i,m spending about 11=12 quid a week on food here in uk .
i only drink spanish or portugese wine or beer but not alot ,
actually one glass of wine a night and one can of red argus with a splash of espirituosa or solera brandy.
i find pork shoulder is far cheaper in uk ,2.49 a kg. and with careful looking at prices uk can be cheaper on lots of things . buy bread in lidl,s in uk for 36p a loaf , its ok.
but i never eat out or go to a pub etc or buy fish n chips etc ,total waste that would be .
i do like stocking up when they have bargains going though.
34p for a tin of sardines . price them in spain.
mind i do get fresh mackeral dropped off often or a pollack or three. .
i,m glad i live in cornwall though not quite warm enough in winter but we have had quite a nice one this winter. lots sunny days shame not hot sun.
if you get down here one time i can show you my expenditure i do keep a log of it all .
bit like running my own business just to keep my brain ticking .
amazing how little you can spend if your a tight git like me. ha ha .
use my little motor bike alot it does 30miles to a litre of fuel if driven carefully.
have fun soon be summer/

chrisjones18

A note on tyres...? A mate is a tyre manager and says they are now trying to get though a eu law that all tyres can't be more than 4 years old..

vwalan

thats because of that coach that got into trouble with a blown tyre ,think it was twenty years old .
mind tyres can be ok at that age.
i have some new tyres in my loft been there over twenty years . i would use them.
i heard it might be a ten year agreement but you never know it might be less .
my monkey bike front tyre is original one , bought the bike new in 2001 , changed the rear tyre twice but the front is still ok.
course i will posibly go out tomorrow and it will be split or some thing now i said that. hee hee

sundowners

4 years would be very bad environmentally---- to scrap tyres in such good condition would not be wise--- when you consider that most EU countries only use a set of tyres for half the year as they have to have summer and winter tyres ------ motorhomes would be really hit as not many would get anywhere worn out!!!!!
I think it would just encourage us to buy the cheapest Chinese we could get hold of----- we recently spent around a thousand £ on a set of germañ made tyres!!!! We wouldn't have done that if that rule had been in place!!!!!

BigMomma

I think this has been the problem with the EU, they have been trying to interfere in things to justify their existence and it is now blowing up in their faces. Having packs of Line caught fresh salmon packaging outlawed because it didn't state, 'This product contains Fish' is but one example !!

vwalan

cjinese as been the way to go for a few years now . certainly alot of truck firms are using them.
me as well . good grip and reasonable wear for almost half the price of the expensive ones .
many are actually makers of tyres for eu companies .
mind when i worked for ats the michelin tyres were made in ireland even back in 1977.
i know ireland isnt china . but its not france either.
certainly chinese m,bike tyres are great. mind i always liked japanese ones back in the 70,s . when new bikes were sold some times the customer wanted the tyres took off if japanese and new avon fitted . i got good deals on the japanese tyres .

chrisjones18

So, insurance
Just renewed my 9 month one trip ( not fulltime ) 12 month cover with Comfort Insurance including eu breakdown and repatriation for £338.
Gone up around £15 from memory..

Eric, you are joking about the labour party and tax allowances I hope:cry:

BigMomma

Eric, you are joking about the labour party and tax allowances I hope:cry:
Unfortunately not Chris :eek: But the lack of public confidence in either of the top two main political parties may just negate any chance of the Labour Party bringing such a policy to fruition. Lib Dems are looking at screwing over the State Pensions, the Brexit party have no domestic policies at all so who is left ? Spanish permanent residency is looking a pretty good option at this moment in time:thumb: The Spanish political situation is not much better butat least the climate is better:cool:;)

vwalan

could be good for uk if we leave properly and have no agreements with eu. then pensioners from uk living abroad their pensions will be locked at todays rate or what ever when they have it . could save a fortune for uk.
best encourage more to leave uk . hee hee.

BigMomma

There is no encouragement needed Alan, as for UK saving a fortune ? They need to when the likes of MP's like Chris Grayling can single-handedly cost U.K. Taxpayers millions of pounds !! Come 2020, when the triple lock system that pensioners have enjoyed for very many years, comes to an end, freezing pensions may not be something that just those living elsewhere in the world will have to contend with :rolleyes:

Many people in this Country are living in the past, we are no longer an Empire, a lot of Industrial skills that we used to have in this nation of ours have now become extinct, we have sold off a great deal of our Industrial and Financial sectors to foreign investors who could pull the plug at any time and lots of our younger generation do not want to work, they would rather get State Benefits and spend it on cigarettes, alcohol, drugs and weapons !!

This country will survive, it has to, but what that survival will look like will be interesting to see :wasntme:

chrisjones18

Totally agree with Eric on the younger generation not wanting work, they just want everything handed to them.
I see this with family members, I wish I didn't but I do.
The UK is no longer the force it once was, sold to any bidder is the way its gone.
The government is now labeling the state pension as a benefit, cheeky gits as I have paid into it all my working life and I dont see it as a benefit ,I see it as my right as its money I have reluctantly given away for 50 years .. just for governments to waste.

Adverts