Another year's insurance sorted.

Easyliving

This morning I renewed my fulltiming policy with Comfort, hardly gone up since last year. I count myself lucky to have paid 'only' £860 for the year, I know many pay a lot more.

Paul

Easyliving

Yes, European breakdown and posessions insurance included. I asked about getting a green card for our European trip next month but they only issue them 21 days before you travel apparently. Our premium went up less than £15 over last year.

Paul

chrisjones18

Nice to hear Comfort prices are staying down, mine is due next month ( I thought it was March) got confused with the mot.... now that's on the 21st March in Gloucester.
Same day as my ct scan at the hospital

Yes, European breakdown and posessions insurance included. I asked about getting a green card for our European trip next month but they only issue them 21 days before you travel apparently. Our premium went up less than £15 over last year.

Paul
Hi Paul, I've got off the dubious pleasure next month..
WRT Green Cards, are you expecting a charge? I was toying with going to maroc last year but they wanted a lot of money for the card....

All a bit up in the air as to whether we are going to need a green card. As far as I know, Comfort don't charge for the green card so I might ask them to send me one anyway ready for our trip to France at the end of April.

Also got to see if we need international driving permits, all very confusing.

Paul

BigMomma

As I recall from the 'old days' when I was in Germany and needed a 'Green Card' they too were valid for 12 months, the period of the Insurance cover. But not sure now whether they will do the same or just issue for each 90 day period you are travelling in the EU ? If they are not going to charge it would be more economical for them, and less administration, if they just issued an Annual green card when you renewed your insurance cover, unless of course, you need one part way through in the initial months after Brexit becomes effective ?

It's a shame that UK insurers don't do the same as Portuguese (and Spanish??) and just include green card with all car insurance----- our Portuguese car has a green card as standard ---we also like the fact that the CAR is insured whoever is driving it-------- but most of all we love the cost!!!!
We are still using our UK licences so will get IDP before we return!!

BigMomma

It's a shame that UK insurers don't do the same as Portuguese (and Spanish??) and just include green card with all car insurance----- our Portuguese car has a green card as standard ---we also like the fact that the CAR is insured whoever is driving it-------- but most of all we love the cost!!!!
We are still using our UK licences so will get IDP before we return!!
Same in Germany, it is the vehicle that is insured and not the driver. I suppose that whilst ever a Green Card was not needed it was more economical for U.K. Insurers not to bother issuing them, but if it becomes necessary then they should just issue with the Insurance Policy. I note however that, whilst Comfort say they will not charge, other Insurers are....... !!!

vwalan

once uk is out of the eu they wont have to insure even the minimum like they have to now.
there was an eu law change that said they didnt have to give green cards .
dare say many insurance companies just wont insure drivers going abroad.
be back to border insurance. might even be that eu companies stop insuring eu drivers coming to uk.

BigMomma

dare say many insurance companies just wont insure drivers going abroad.
be back to border insurance. might even be that eu companies stop insuring eu drivers coming to uk.
Can you explain your rationale for those little gems Alan Perhaps you are really a reporter that is responsible for some of the scaremongering media articles that keep getting published If they will insure vehicles for driving in Africa then cannot see any reason why they wouldn't insure them for driving in Europe ? Likewise, why would EU Countries not continue to Insure for coming to UK, it isn't them that are splitting the relationship with the UK, it is the other way around and UK are not imposing restrictions on drivers from EU like EU are with us, we are still the idiots in this fiasco !!

vwalan

well some uk insurers dont cover africa at all. and untill they had to didnt cover countries in europe other than uk ones .
also quite a few european companies didnt cover uk before they had to by the rules .
only have to look back and see how it was years ago.
mind it was possible to travel abroad . did it loads of times with my mum and dad when i was young.
never have liked italy greece and turkey. always liked morocco , algeria ,tunisia .
never went further down with my parents , but later on drove to the boder of ttogo and benin .
tunisia ,libya and egypt another fantastic drive .
but the west coast is great . ideal if you like surfing the waves .

vwalan

i always try to get vehicle insurance from gibralar based companies as they always covered morocco when the border to spain was closed . vehicles had to leave spain on moroccan ferry then a ferry to gibraltar and same when getting back. the holiday resort for those living or based in gibraltar was morocco.
although other uk insurers do cover morocco some are a bit tight on how many days etc .

BigMomma

But let's be honest here Alan, once again you are reminiscing how things 'used' to be, and if you are really honest you must accept that a lot of things have changed since you last conducted your 'major' global adventures, although I have to admit, not everything is for the better. Travelling to Europe, if we ever do stop being a member of the EU, is not being stopped, just restrictions on how long we can visit, and some additional beaurocracy, the same beaurocracy that currently exists for other visitors from non-EU countries :thumb:

vwalan

yes it will be the same as other non eu countries .thats what was voted for .
all the rules etc are and were there to read and study.
but it does seem the remainers didnt read them and think the brexiters didnt either.
looking back helps looking forward easier.
remember a green card only needs to cover the very minimum though not what you get in uk.
there was a time if we called into the insurers offices in gib they gave us full cover the same as we got in uk all for nothing just the effort of visiting them.
be interesting to wait and see what food /drink etc customs limits will be used.
might not be able to take lots of cheap food from uk to spain ,
better not bring too much drink back . ha ha .

BigMomma

I think you are right about 'some' Remainers & Leavers not reading, or indeed, not understanding how they would be affected, this does not just include Motorhomers. Lots of news stories in the Spanish Press (English Versions) whereby expats voted to leave :giggle: Now they are saying that they did not think that Brexit would impact on them ? :eek: I still do not agree with your assertion that food is cheaper in U.K. than it is in Spain ? We have been here for five months, same weekly food & drink budget as we have in U.K. and Sharon has saved enough, without cutting down or scrimping and scraping, to purchase a new Fridge/Freezer for the apartment next year out of the grocery budget. Now, if all you wanted to eat was UK branded items, which you can buy out here quite easily, then I would agree with you as they cost an arm and a leg to buy, but why would you want to do that when you can get virtually all the same products here in Spain that you can in U.K. :think:

Adverts