Aberystwyth

Silver Drifter

Whilst not being a wild camping site, the lorry/bus park can accommodate large units and it's only £1.50/24hrs! It's opposite the police station so as safe and secure as anywhere else. A 10 minute walk will get you to the shops, 10 more (not stopping in any) will get you to the sea front.
Out on the South side of the harbour entrance the pebble car park is free and can also accommodate large units and is perfect for bracing walks along the coast.

Newport
Back lane car park is free from 18.00hrs till 08.00hrs and £3.50 all day. My van is 7m and I found a space with an overhang..larger units may have to buy 2 tickets☺...

Shrimp

I have a confession.
I am terribly sorry but I have pinched your post and put it on the sister forum-Motorhomefun.
There are quite a few that like to wild camp so thought it right to share your post.
Please forgive me.

coolasluck

I agree. I also only share with friends in person and never online.

Dunroamin

Like you Coola Iwant to look them in the eyes and decide whether or no they are a twat then decide to tell or not.

coolasluck

Do you share your spots with Alan?

Dunroamin

depends,if I know a grotty industrial estate then yes but Alan isnt interested in the places we park up not enough people around to talk to. Apart from that he has some unsavoury friends!!!!!!

Dunroamin

Joking apart I dont think Alan needs any tips from me,he has been around long enough.I tell him where we are but he seldom comes.He has his routes and park ups.He wouldnt pass on any places we told him of that I am sure unless we told him that the place was pretty well known anyway.

Shrimp

So you won't share anything with a sister forum?
Sorry but I feel that is just being mean! We are all in this together, I posted it onto a forum, not just anywhere!

chrisjones18

shrimp shouldn't feel bad about it as he only re posted a car park.. there are lots of cheap car parks in Wales, Powys having lots over night free ones.
there are lots of stunning wild camping places besides car parks... try the mountain road to the elan valley, if you can find it.....no signposts.
there is a really bad website [wildcamping or something like that] giving away all the good spots.... all over Europe. if more people left "no trace" I wouldn't mind .

coolasluck

Yes wildcamping is the site.Nothing worse than turning up to a nice spot to find it over run with vans and on occasions their rubbish.
I know what you mean about Alan Dunroamin Some of his spots are good and some are crap he is though trustworthy with spots you tell him about ,and no doubt he knows the spot anyway , but I also wouldn't trust his unsavoury friends:D:D:D

Last edited:

Dunroamin

I beg to differ with Shrimp,we are not all in this together.It is one thing sharing knowhow that is common to all but I dont see why I should let the whole world know of the places we have discovered only to find the next time we visit full of vans.Find your own places if you can. That Snail gave the tip to 2,000 members of this forum is ok,when he returns there he has to live with it but you passed someone elses tip to this forum further without a by your leave to Snail to probably another 2,000 mohomers. I have had 20 years of fulltiming and more than enough of the unthinking ,uncaring assholes who dont give a monkeys about the countryside and the waste they leave behind if I dont know them or dont like them I dont tell them

coolasluck

Smilies added!! Speaking of Alan I'm wondering where he is?

coolasluck

I think you'll find it was silver drifter who shared the info . As you said on here is ok as this site is small but when it goes further afield it ends up everywhere or as information sold to paying members of other sites. Snail shared some info with me as an inbox message today and that is probably the best way to do it.

coolasluck

Still the only consolation is it's not a good free site but a pay small fee car park.

Dunroamin

My apologies to Snail,we have only met in person 3 members of this forum Alan,Coola and Stan all of whom we have found to be sympathetic and I would share places with them in the full and certain knowledge that that they would act responsibly.We have also met 2 couples from the fun forum with whom we shared a wild pig which we slaughtered in Morocco and would feel confident that they would also be ok. There are also a few members on this forum that judging from their posts we would also be sympathetic with.We lean towards the fishing,walking and cycling set as they are usually more sensitive to the environment. The be on the frontline on the beach and get as brown as you can to impress the neighbours back home are not our bag.

chrisjones18

Coola. I should put on here where we will be shortly
That should get everyone going there and we could be left alone.. I would if I could remember the name of the prison camp we are booked into.... Alan would like it there.. I am really looking forward to all them darn skwakers running about. Nottttt Never mind it's only a week though I thought the kids would love looking through a skip.. I will send a text when we get that way to see if your still around.

Shrimp

I have been trawling around Wales since 1971, I lived there for many years and know the Elan valley and Cwmystwyth area well and I really don't think you are going to get upwards of 20 people 'wild camping' there let alone 2,000/3,000 people!!!!!:D
We used to 'wild camp' in the old lead mines along the Cwmystyth road but that was proper 'wild camping'-in a tent!

chrisjones18

I have been trawling around Wales since 1971, I lived there for many years and know the Elan valley and Cwmystwyth area well and I really don't think you are going to get upwards of 20 people 'wild camping' there let alone 2,000/3,000 people!!!!!:D
We used to 'wild camp' in the old lead mines along the Cwmystyth road but that was proper 'wild camping'-in a tent!
you gone south west a bit now then looking for gold !!!!! :thumb: llanddewi-brefi, [who remembers the tv programme]
my parents live in Rhayader, both getting on for 90. you will know where the free parking is there then [just not market day] once a month now not twice a week....how things change. the old 470 south is like a bog track ,more mud than track. 4x4 now on a wet day and there's plenty of them in Wales.

Adverts