A little Advice please

Discussion in 'Fulltimer Chat' started by Anitatilly, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Fatima Saysell

Fatima Saysell Well-Known Member

At the moment, I only miss having a proper oven. I'd to bake some cakes and my own mince pies at Christmas. We have a Cobb for roasting and BBQ, but maybe in future we can have moho with oven again, like the Elddis.

2. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

havnt you got a proper oven?
    you will be telling us next you havnt got a twintub washing machine as well.
    mind i have got a mangle aboard should we meet up . you can borrow that.
    oh, and a posser for the washing.
    i dont know these posh campers i thought they came with all mod cons . hee hee

Fatima Saysell likes this.
  3. BigMomma

BigMomma Well-Known Member

Our 'Little Fokker', although a Hymer, came fitted for the UK market so it has a Thetford Cooker (3x Gas Hob & 1x Electric), separate grill and separate oven :thumb: Now who mentioned cake :D You could buy a 'Remoska', one pot cooking and baking ;) (Mind you, no good without EHU !!) Oh well, you will just have to pop in to the next 'patisserie' you are passing

4. coolasluck

coolasluck Well-Known Member

We fitted a four burner hob and the largest thetford oven.I have to say the wife is pretty pleased as we can cook anything we want.We also bought a slow cooker as well. Barbecues are only useful if you are using them all the time and they take up space. We have friends who seem to do alright with a petrol stove (can't think of its name) they either cook with that or a microwave. They have been on the road for 12 years now.

5. coolasluck

Funny thing Is although we wanted an oven with a grill we have barely used it. Don't really use the toaster either as we cut back on bread. Those part baked rolls are nice though mmm

6. Fatima Saysell

Haha. Funny that, our old Elddis, being British, had oven and grill, but this fancy German van hasn't. Mind, it has a much better shower and dining area and table, so I suppose we are better off all round. You can't have everything, they say!

7. Fatima Saysell

We loved into a Remoska, as it was suggested to me here when we got Hymer, but, like you say, you need EHU. I managed to cook Xmas dinner last year on Andrew James electric oven, but eventually the tefal came off and things started to stick and burn, so we bought the Cobb this summer. Great for BBQ, but when I roasted chicken last week, one of the rubber grommets melted and now inner sleeve is stuck fast to outer ring. Have emailed them, but no answer. I'll try and upload photo.

Attached Files:

8. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

years ago i tried folding ovens etc that sat on a burner .
    tried double skillet pans etc but really having the oven is nice . mind i use a pressure cooker alot .
    but gammon joints mmm. i do boil them sometimes but far nicer cooked in the oven .
    do make bread sometimes .
    i,m glad i fitted a full cooker in the trailer.
    used to carry a bbq but found i never used it .
    used to in the smaller vans but now really cant be bothered .
    if in morocco there is usually a campfire so might cook over that .
    might have to go back to a small cooker should i swap vehicles ,but pressure cooker always been a favourite in the campers for me .

9. chrisjones18

chrisjones18 Well-Known Member

Cut back on bread!!!!!!! Never.....
    We have an oven and 4 rings sat on top of a grill.......

10. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

cant see any point in cutting back on bread .aldi are still selling 40p sliced loaves . cant bake a loaf for that.
    news says food as gone up but .
    not alot if you look hard ,spot the bargain and buy a few for later on .

11. chrisjones18

12. coolasluck

We eat less bread to loose a bit of weight and cut down on carbs. If I had to eat that rubbish you do in Spain Alan I would give it up completely. I like proper good quality stuff not that pandamolde rubbish.:p

13. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

all about choice . you have yours i make mine.
    nice and sunny here this morning . temp 10.8 c at half eight .
    had drizzle in the night though. but looking good.

14. chrisjones18

bread has to be white.... what is it with wholemeal, its like chewing a cardboard box >:)
    and don't even mention that stuff with seeds in it :swear:

15. coolasluck

You can't beat aldis fresh white bread Chris:thumb:

16. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

mind you cant get a sliced loaf in spain ,possibly france for 40p.
    mind lidl are doing their sliced loafs for 40p as well i just noticed in uk.
    plus lidl still have sardines at 33p . a tin , building a nice store up now . better than money in the bank. hee hee . lidl are doing british carrots at 29p a kg this weekend . that cheap, but i shant be going for any . shame they didnt have them for that today.

17. BigMomma

BigMomma Well-Known Member

SuperSol will slice your bread for you, just buy the loaf you want then they put in the slicer, hey, magic, a sliced loaf in Spain :thumb:

18. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

yes lots will slice loafs for you they do here in uk. coolla is on about the lidl pan de molde loaves in spain i buy at 90-95c a loaf . there are others bimbo and loads more . but i like the lidl ones .but dearer than uk.
    mind here in uk its about 22slices in a loaf , think the spanish ones might weigh more than 800grm as they usually have 28 slices in a loaf. 4 slices a day for a week ideal.
    we do tend to use lidl as we like their beer and the solera.

19. coolasluck

I remember feeding some of your pandamolde to some birds. After a couple of minutes it was like toast.Even the birds didn't bother with it lol

20. coolasluck

I remember we bought some value tinned plum tomatoes from asdas value range last year and when we opened it their was only 2 tomatoes in the tin.Cheap doesn't always work but for us taste does.:thumb: