5th wheels where are you???

Discussion in 'Fulltimer's Motorhomes' started by Liam, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Liam

Liam Member

Hi everyone just wanted to see how many self built 5th wheels are kicking about. I know of one on Facebook which is up for sale. Don't be shy let's see them. IMG_3644.JPG

2. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

hi. that looks nice .
    mines in my avatar.
    had it 17 yrs now . but have changed the truck. was pulled by a vw lt50 from new in 87 .
    changed in 2007 to the mitzy.
    i,m in cornwall or very often in winter else where.
    usually say i have room in my drive for visitors but might not get that one in hee hee.
    how long is it ?
    seen a nice looking one for someone on ebay lately . didnt sell at the original price so they have dropped it a bit . have a good one .

3. Liam

Liam Member

Mine is 44ft total the trailer been 34ft where Di you do your summers ?

4. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

normally at home . or visiting friends .
    i dont fulltime .
    bit of a cheat me being on here but do longterm.
    keep thinking of doing the yorkshire coast that we used to visit as a kid but then i like cornwall and devon so dont get there. do do wales , its ok there get left alone most places .

5. Liam

Liam Member

I always get nervous of new places due to the size lol would hate to get stuck downca narrow lane

6. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

mines only 10mtr long the trailer is 7mtr. and 7ft 6ins wide .
    having driven trucks round here its usually ok.
    drove skips and sewage tankers for years so know most of the awkward narrow places .
    there are lots places i wouldnt take a fiver though .
    i chose the mitzy as thats a narrow truck for having a nose about with . also carry m,bike in the trailer for investigating new areas.

7. Liam

Liam Member

The bike is defiantly a good idea I've already been looking at. Or maybe a quad haha

8. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

i use a chines dax monkey bike . sold in uk as easyrider. really jincheng . had it 16 years now .
    actually use it round here ,its good for country lane afternoon ride out . carries two if need be .
    90cc its ok.
    handle bars fold down so fits under the rear bed a treat.
    i actually built the garage to take one using measurements from another camper.
    went to see a 1500cc drifter and ended up buying the biggest and smallest bikes in the showroom.
    get as much fun with the little one as the big one . but different ride outs .

snail likes this.
  9. Liam

Liam Member

I would need to put some kind of rack on the back as I don't have a garage. It's one of the things I wish the builder would of planned in.

10. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

well self build is the way.
    mind i only converted mine it was an empty trailer.
    i knew what i wanted before the conversion .
    the single cab vw didnt quite fit my wants but it worked for awhile .
    now seven seater double cab id ideal plus makes a sleeper cab if i get off locally without the trailer.

11. sundowners

sundowners Well-Known Member

We had a couple of yank 5ers and three yank trucks, the last two with the 5.9 Cummins diesel.
    Now have a more practical (for us) Euro box!!

AlaskaGuy likes this.
  12. AlaskaGuy

AlaskaGuy Active Member

In praise of the Euro box...that's not the little tin with a slot in the top, right? :D

13. AlaskaGuy

AlaskaGuy Active Member

Might be coming down to Portugal this December. You still down there?

14. sundowners

sundowners Well-Known Member

Possibly______--------let us know your plans we may be able to meet up somewhere!!
    We hope to be in portugal again this winter