5th wheeler.

Evening all. The old lady and I are trawling through suitable motors for a 12 month jolly through Europe. If we enjoy it as much as I hope we will it could end up considerably longer. My question is how is a 5th wheel set up seen over the pond? Would it be welcomed on Aires or is it seen more like a caravan?
Thanks for any advice and tips.

vwalan

hi, some aires you can get away with it . but not that many. some campsites arent keen on them.
but then why bother, lots nice places to stop on places trucks stop. ideally get one thats more truck looking then stopping in villages or on outskirts of a town is what thousands of trucks do. last campsite i used was in spain at l,hospitalet de l.infant in 2009. only then as it was late in the day.
its like all of the touring thing be sensible , if not on a campsite then dont drag tables ,chairs and peg carpets to the ground . locals be then local or expats dont like to see it.
discreet and sensible your ok.
possibly in some places move away from the beach carparks in the evenings then police see you arent static so leave you alone .
we over the years have met many police and the ones that have known us years comment if others moved daily like us every thing could be ok.
in spain stopping on a sea front close to the sea can be illegal even in a car.
avoid the main tourist spots and speak and mix with locals works for many.
have fun only had mine 19yrs now . ha ha .

sundowners

In my opinion a car and caravan would be cheaper for a short trip--------- we have had two fivers but never took them abroad------- wild camping/Aires are far better with a van though------ doing a self conversion could be done cheaply if you are only using it for a year----- you would never get your money back when selling so keep it simple!!!!
For a long term trip there are some really good vans around!!!!! But------------- they are expensive!!
It really depends what you are expecting to do during that year???---- if you want to visit cities you need to have something small like a panel van, or leave your camper in a campsite and public transport into the city. A car and caravan would work there. If, like us you just like forest, desert, mountains and open space then size is less of an issue!!
Give us a clue what you want to do----- and what driving licence you have!! --- what level of comfort do you want??---- what sort of budget are you working with for your vehicle/camper????

coolasluck

I agree with sundowners. If it's only a year's trip then you need to go cheaper than if you had decided to permanently full-time on the road. A mate of mine in the states wants to convert one of those big yellow American school buses but then he only wants to be on the road for a year. Keep it cheap and simple

Buying a motorhome, using it for a year, then selling it again is also worth considering because they don't depreciate all that much - especially if you buy a used one at a sensible price. With access to Aires as well as wild camping then a motorhome is likely to be the easier option.

hi, some aires you can get away with it . but not that many. some campsites arent keen on them.
but then why bother, lots nice places to stop on places trucks stop. ideally get one thats more truck looking then stopping in villages or on outskirts of a town is what thousands of trucks do. last campsite i used was in spain at l,hospitalet de l.infant in 2009. only then as it was late in the day.
its like all of the touring thing be sensible , if not on a campsite then dont drag tables ,chairs and peg carpets to the ground . locals be then local or expats dont like to see it.
discreet and sensible your ok.
possibly in some places move away from the beach carparks in the evenings then police see you arent static so leave you alone .
we over the years have met many police and the ones that have known us years comment if others moved daily like us every thing could be ok.
in spain stopping on a sea front close to the sea can be illegal even in a car.
avoid the main tourist spots and speak and mix with locals works for many.
have fun only had mine 19yrs now . ha ha .
Many thanks for the advice. We're going to Wales tomorrow to view a couple and see what the old wicked witch of the west thinks about them.

In my opinion a car and caravan would be cheaper for a short trip--------- we have had two fivers but never took them abroad------- wild camping/Aires are far better with a van though------ doing a self conversion could be done cheaply if you are only using it for a year----- you would never get your money back when selling so keep it simple!!!!
For a long term trip there are some really good vans around!!!!! But------------- they are expensive!!
It really depends what you are expecting to do during that year???---- if you want to visit cities you need to have something small like a panel van, or leave your camper in a campsite and public transport into the city. A car and caravan would work there. If, like us you just like forest, desert, mountains and open space then size is less of an issue!!
Give us a clue what you want to do----- and what driving licence you have!! --- what level of comfort do you want??---- what sort of budget are you working with for your vehicle/camper????
Hi guys. The way we're thinking right now is there's a good chance we'll stick with it long term, but I'm sure many have thought the same and headed home after a month or so "cos they miss the grand kids. We had a couple vans when the kids were younger but they ended up standin on the drive most of the time. One of them cost the thick end of 90k and we lost a bundle when we got rid so I'd rather be a little more cautious this time. I didn't think I was being over the top spending 40 grand. We have every intention of taking in most of Europe so we would like a modicum of comfort and space. This is why I thought of a 5th wheel. No problem with the licence. I've been a trucker for most of my working days.
Please keep the advice coming. I really do value it.
Cheers
Andy

vwalan

mind you could get an ex prison truck. kit it out quite easily . alter the rear door to two semi hieght ones so you can get a small m,bike in the back u nder the bed . ideally keep the outside plain . then parking in loads of places is easy .they are well insulated and the windows are ok. they dont open but there is roof hatches for vents .
they are cheap and make nice campers .
if you dont like the life after 12mths they sell ok. .
mind i know others have kept theirs for years .
keep it commercial looking then parking is easy folk just think commercial be gone tomorrow. though in some places a few days etc are ok.
ten or so grand could see you on the road.

chrisjones18

I thought of a 5th wheeler , though glad I went for a motorhome..
If you are going to use sites for a large % of the time then go for a 5th wheeler
Never seen one on an aire though. You might get problems staying at some due to the length.

vwalan

5ers are ideal really . you have a car to drive around localy and possibly space for a m,bike as well. .
i like flat fronted trucks rather than pickups so it makes a shorter combination .
my trailer is just over 20ft and together just under 33 ft.
best avoid aires and campsites . they get filled with campsite dwellers that can be irritatingly daft.
far better to go on a traveler area much more friendly.

Adverts